Thursday, March 18, 2010

Winning Words 3/18/10
“It’s not whether you get knocked down; it’s whether you get up again.” (Vince Lombardi) When I moved to Wisconsin in the 50s, my football allegiance shifted to the Green Bay Packers, especially when “Vince” became their coach. He was a great motivator on and off of the playing field. We all have times when we’re knocked down. Successful people “get up, dust themselves off and start all over again.” ;-) Jack

FROM MOLINER CF: I always ran my business on "Lombardi Time) and was never late for an appointment and never missed a deadline. FROM JACK: Never is a strong word. I've missed a few appointments (because I forgot), and I came upon a deadline at the last moment, because I wasn't adequately prepared; so, in case you didn't know it....I'm not perfect.

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: Thank You for today's quote. I love this one. There is a scene in the latest rocky movie "Rocky Balboa" when he teaches this to his son at a pivot point in the story. I think this is the character aspect of 'Rocky' that endeared him to people through all these years. Having reflected on that for a moment -
"Rocky Balboa" is good visual analogy of the trait of perseverance. Remember in the earlier films how Rocky always seemed to be losing the fight - but never gave up even though he was offered the easier way out? He had something special in his spirit that neither circumstances nor opponents (e.g. giants) could crush.

FROM DP IN WISCONSIN: Dave Robinson & Boyd Dowler were at a trade show I worked at in WI. Dells this week. Boy, were they good! FROM JACK: My favorite football game of all time was when the Packers beat Dallas in the Ice Bowl. Robinson and Dowler were two of the best. Did they buy any sausage?

FROM JD IN MINNESOTA: CHRISTIANS GET KNOCKED DOWN, BUT THEY DON'T GET KNOCKED OUT. FROM JACK: Yes, among others. How about Goliath?

FROM GS IN MICHIGAN: Very fitting to these crazy times. How hard is it for people in their 50s who were raised with the expectation that as long as you did your job well, you would always have one. We all have to help each other "get up again" when life knocks us onto our "nether regions". FROM JACK: You know what you're talking about, but as the saying goes, You can't keep a good "person" down.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: That is a good one. We just had a TV report with a 86 year old navy veteran who just returned to work at the Chamber of Commerce in Auburndale, and he says that through all of life has learned how to roll with all the punches to not end up flat on his back. By the way, he says that the medal he is the most proud of is his Good Conduct Medal. FROM JACK: Good Conduct Medal? I love it.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Today I answer your quote with a quote I found.... "The happiness people in the world are not those who have no problems, but the people who have learned to live with those things that are less than perfect." James Dobson FROM JACK: I usually have a prejudice against JD, but since this one comes from you and it seems to fit, I'll make an exception. It's a good one.

No comments: