Thursday, January 07, 2010

Winning Words 1/7/10
“In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.” (Albert Camus – sent by Suzanne) Some of my friends who are living down south have a penchant for sending a report of their weather, particularly when we in the north are experiencing below zero temps and deep snows. However, Camus is writing about an inner spirit and not about the weather. ;-) Jack

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: We have some friends in Arizona who always send us Christmas cards with pictures of them in their sunglasses. I thought about sending them Christmas cards of us in our sunglasses but somehow I don't think they would see us as enjoying our invincible summer but rather sort of pitiful.

FROM DR IN CALIFORNIA: Just wanted you to know that it will hit 74 here in Palm Desert today. FROM JACK: Just wanted you to know that a BIG snowstorm is headed our way today and tomorrow. The thermometer shows in the mid-20s right now. Wish you were here.

FROM MF IN MICHIGAN: Reminds me a little of the Happy Gilmore movie, where everyone has a "happy place" they can go to in their mind to help get thru some personal challenge, like a trip to the dentist or a flu shot. I have many "happy places" to help thru tough times. FROM JACK: Thanks for that "thought." There are movies that have more than the obvious storyline. The song "Count Your Many Blessings" is a happy place for me.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: i like the term "invincible summer". i am the invincible summer for my beloved and friend amy each winter. they both suffer from "sad" beginning about now. they've had enough of the dark and cold so i become their seasonal shrink. i think i'll change my title today...hope they don't smack me...it's a touchy business! FROM JACK: It's worse to see someone having problems and just to sit idly by and feel sorry. The trick is to know when to step in and when to back off. Empathy!

FROM CJL IN OHIO: As I look out the window, I see that both are true.... FROM JACK: O, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful....

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN: This quote reminds me of you. It doesn’t matter what the weather is like, you are always positive, upbeat and full of vim and vinegar! That’s wonderful.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I personally like the snow and cold....however, having a knee replaced in February in Michgan probably will change my mind. I will keep "summer in my brain" all winter this year. FROM JACK: It looks like no sledding or ice-skating for you.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: I bought a poster with this Camus quote on it and had it on my classroom wall during January when I taught Music and Literature in Jr. high. It had the quote, and a picture of a purple crocus emerging through a layer of snow on the ground. My students always commented on it, and some discussed it. One young woman quoted it to me years later when I ran into her at the mall! She then had two small children in tow. Made me feel good that she had that memory! I still get notes, invitations, and pictures from former students. An old ladies' reward for 23 yrs. in the classroom. I loved teaching!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have some friends in Arizona who always send us Christmas cards with pictures of them in their sunglasses. I thought about sending them Christmas cards of us in our sunglasses but somehow I don't think they would see us as enjoying our invincible summer but rather sort of pitiful.
S.H. in MI