Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Winning Words 1/13/10
“Life is shaped by the people you meet every day.” (I, H &K) I’m going to make it a point to meet someone new today and to learn something about them and their family. Most of us are reluctant to move out of the comfort zone of old friends (who were once new friends). Tomorrow, I hope to report on my ad-venture. Perhaps you can tell me about a “new” friend of yours. ;-) Jack

FROM HS IN MICHIGAN: The story of my life! I met you and sure enough...you shape my mornings! FROM JACK: It works both ways.

FROM EM IN MICHIGAN: I'm up to the challenge of meeting someone new today as well. I'll report to you how it went. That is something I try and do on a weekly basis - it isn't too challenging especially as a chiropractor
when I see a new patient, I get to learn a whole lot about someone! FROM JACK: It's a beautiful world out there when we're bold enough to leave our cocoon.

FROM ST IN MICHIGAN: Thanks for keeping the good faith going.

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: I just read your Winning Words and thought that you might like to meet Doug Firebaugh (www.successchurch.com). He and his wife conduct a weekly Bible study at the Troy Civic Center on Tuesdays at 7:00 called 'Success Church'. This is a cross denominational meeting focused on marketplace ministry. The people that attend are diverse. Doug and Jodi are successful motivational speakers by trade and use Tuesday nights to give back'. It just occurred to me that you may have something's in common and might benefit from the relationship. FROM JACK: ....so, if I want to meet a new person! Maybe I'll venture to check it out.

FROM SB IN MICHIGAN: Another quote along these lines (one of my personal favorites) is, "I am a part of all that I have met," from Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem "Ulysses." There are more gems in that poem as well. FROM JACK: In fact, I read that poem this past weekend, and my eye caught that same line.

FROM MOLINER CF: I have a friend about whom I learn something new every day. Good luck on your quest, old friend. FROM JACK: And I know if I'll only be true, to this glorious quest, That my heart will lie will lie peaceful and calm, when I'm laid to my rest ...

FROM JK IN MINNESOTA: I'm a mentor to a 9th grade confirmation class member who is teaching me things new and hopeful about the generations who will be our leaders not-too-many-years-from-now. Most recently, Ana shows me that many thirteen-year-olds are responsible about their studies, involved in extra-curricular activities, loved and supported by their parents and think deeply about their faith. I look forward to two years (and I trust more) of learning from a remarkable young person! FROM JACK: That's a good idea...to meet and learn from a younger person

FROM HAWKEYE GS: CBS has mostly young men -30 years old. We go to lunch together afterwards - keeps me young. FROM JACK: For blog readers---CBS is a Bible Study group which includes Mixed-Martial-Arts fighters.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: In Florida at this time of year there are lots of snowbirds. Yesterday I met a woman from Ottawa, Canada and both she and her husband were teachers before they retired. Now they have the best of both worlds and climates. Usually. FROM JACK: Meeting new people is an experience that works both ways. Both parties benefit from meeting someone new.

FROM MOLINER JT: As a new member of First Lutheran I've made many "new" friends. Probably the most important is Pastor Dan. I've always considered my pastor as a teacher,confidant etc. Now I have found a truly new "friend". FROM JACK: Friendship...just a perfect blendship.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I didn't think anything would happen today but tonight suddenly got a telephone call out of the blue. A couple who had attended our church and then left. Since then we've had sporadic contact. But during tonight's conversation I found out some things about the direction their lives are going in which totally surprised me. Glad I can now have a different understanding of them and our lives together. Some of my regrets have just plain evaporated. Old friends but new friendship.

2 comments:

JK in MN said...

JK in Minnesota: I'm a mentor to a 9th grade confirmation class member who is teaching me things new and hopeful about the generations who will be our leaders not-too-many-years-from-now. Most recently, Ana shows me that many thirteen-year-olds are responsible about their studies, involved in extra-curricular activities, loved and supported by their parents and think deeply about their faith. I look forward to two years (and I trust more) of learning from a remarkable young person!

Anonymous said...

I didn't think anything would happen today but tonight suddenly got a telephone call out of the blue. A couple who had attended our church and then left. Since then we've had sporadic contact. But during tonight's conversation I found out some things about the direction their lives are going in which totally surprised me. Glad I can now have a different understanding of them and our lives together. Some of my regrets have just plain evaporated. Old friends but new friendship.
S.H. in MI