Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Winning Words 1/12/10
“It’s takin’ whatever comes your way, the good AND the bad, that gives life flavor. It’s all the stuff rolled together that makes life worth livin’.” (I, H & K) It’s a different analogy, but with the same truth: “All sunshine makes a desert.” I appreciate the ethnic diversity of the community in which I live--over 60 different languages spoken in the homes of our 2000 high school students. ;-) Jack

FROM RI IN BOSTON: The "good and the bad" really do give life flavor. Of course those judgments are subjective. There are a lot of examples where one person's trash was transformed into another person's art. And didn't stew originate from someone making use of miscellaneous leftovers? All that stuff rolled together makes for good eatin'. FROM JACK: Variety makes for a good congregation, also. "Variety is the spice of life."

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: Wow. I had no idea that West Bloomfield was so diverse! I'll bet there some really interesting restaurants around there now. FROM JACK: On our block....African-American, Korean, Indian, Russian, Chaldean. This morning I had breakfast at a Russian restaurant. Tomorrow's lunch will be at a French Pastry shop. Sunday will be a big MLK, Jr Walk and Program at the high school.

FROM L IN ILLINOIS: Despite ethnic diversity, we are all the same. Perhaps, someday we'll get past the "I'm this, you're that" mentality and labels. FROM JACK: First, we in the USA have to get by the red state/blue state thing.

FROM GUSTIE MN: I do agree with the diversity part—mostly—but I got an email about what is going on at Fordson High School in Dearborn and that I cannot agree with. That sounds like a Muslim school and nothing else is acceptable. FROM JACK: I don't believe everything that comes to me by e-mail. Do you?

FROM SG IN TAMPA: I am curious. Are all of the classes taught in English? FROM JACK: I'll check.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: Oh my! That is remarkable...you really do have ethnic diversity! Yes, there is much truth in this saying...you want neither desert or swamp!! FROM JACK: Our clergy group has Christians, Jews, Muslims and community leaders who are non-clergy.

No comments: