Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Winning Words 12/8/09
“What if you only get five minutes with God? God is a very busy God. You can ask anything you want.” (Mitch Albom-“Have a Little Faith”) That’s an interesting question. What would you do with that five minutes? The “safe” answer might seem to be: “I would listen.” But if you really had a chance to ask God anything, anything at all, what would it be? I’ve read Albom’s book, and I liked it. ;-) Jack

FROM JACK: I might ask God if he revealed himself to people in a form other than Jesus. I might also ask if he revealed himself as God to all of his creation, and how was that done? I believe that God would be patient with my questions.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: Why don't the Cubs ever win the World Series??? FROM JACK: I remember someone asking, "Can God make something so heavy that he can't lift it?" The Cubs winning the World Series is a question like that.

FROM MKH: That is huge I am not sure what I would ask? I would probably just be in awe? Like that song “Standing in your presence where would my heart fall would I sing alleluia or to my knees would I fall?” Something like that? I Can Only Imagine FROM JACK: I know. It seems presumptious for us to ask, but real teachers don't mind when learners dare to ask questions. People wer always questioning Jesus, and he was patient with them.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I understand that racism is not God's will. Classicism is not God's will. Ethnicism is not God's will. Sexism is not God's will. Ageism is not God's will. It is the Lord's Table and not the Lutheran table. But I still have a question (so many, many people believe this, people whom I respect) is it God's will that marriage be only between a man and a woman? But I guess I have even a further question than this to ask God, "Is it important for all of our salvation to be in agreement on this question, God, are we safe from Your judgment if we always continue on as we seem to be continuing on, with all this division? Or should we be still striving to reach some greater understanding of Your Will in our communal lives?" FROM JACK: You only have five minutes.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I'd probably thank Him for forgiving me each and every day. I have always wondered why the first disciples were chosen and how. Oh, I would have ask Him many questions I have about the Bible and if I was walking the right path. Simple, I know, but I have wondered and do wonder each day if I am on the right path. FROM JACK: He might respond, "Let not your heart be troubled, nor let it be afraid."

FROM DS IN SAN DIEGO: I'll really have to cut down my list of questions if I only get 5 minutes. Of course, what is "5 minutes" in God's terms???? FROM JACK: God doesn't own, or need, a stop watch.

FROM CL IN CALIFORNIA: I think I would ask questions relating to why bad things happen to good people and why certain things happened to me in my life. I too read Mitch's new book and also liked it. FROM JACK: One of the gifts of heaven will be revelation.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: this is a tough one. i have been thinking about it all day. i'd probably offer her a bowl of soup and then...still don't know what my question would be. life is such a gift. how does one approach the giver? it's that mystery thing. do we mess with it? love everything mitch albom writes. he's got a good head.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: I'd ask for his healing touch for my loved ones...in the Bible Jesus healed ALL who came to him, so we are told! What a blessing that would be! FROM JACK: "Ask, and you shall receive." In a sense God always answers requests, similar to the way parents respond....YES; NO; LET'S WAIT AND SEE....The answer is always given in love and with a knowledge that is beyond the child's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand that racism is not God's will. Classicism is not God's will. Ethnicism is not God's will. Sexism is not God's will. Ageism is not God's will. It is the Lord's Table and not the Lutheran table. But I still have a question (so many, many people believe this, people whom I respect) is it God's will that marriage be only between a man and a woman? But I guess I have even a further question than this to ask God, "Is it important for all of our salvation to be in agreement on this question, God, are we safe from Your judgment if we always continue on as we seem to be continuing on, with all this division? Or should we be still striving to reach some greater understanding of Your Will in our communal lives?"
S.H. in MI