Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Winning Words 12/29/09
“Don’t go through life, grow through life.” (Eric Butterworth) We have gone through most of 2009. Where has the time gone? I like Jim Croce’s song, Time In A Bottle, where one line goes: “There never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do.” As the days dwindle down, let’s reflect on some “growing experiences” that have happened to us this year. ;-) Jack

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: For years now, being one who asked for, even despite seemingly uninterest around me, asked for these ELCA Bible studies, I was shocked at the Assembly decision in the summer. Now, even though the Assembly decision carries, just because of the way people still are going about, really don't fully know if I and others are growing or not. The potential is big but to actually see any minds change seem slow to come. FROM JACK: I think that the growing happens when the concept takes on flesh and blood. In the abstract, opinions are pre-judged.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: It seems to me that Butterworth has it right; we can grow as we go, letting our experiences give us a new perspective or fresh outlook. Spending more time with young people this past year has given me insight that improved my attitude. Young people often provide a refreshing alternate view of what's going on around us. FROM JACK: For me, it's been meeting and talking with people who express ideas and concepts that cause me to break out of my cocoon. MORE FROM RI: Conceptual thinking is cheap and can cover wide territory quickly. Often, trying a conceptual approach that strays from the conventional gets criticized, but ends with a creative solution.

FROM AJ IN MICHIGAN: Great thought to end the old year and start the new year. Thanks, Jack for all the words of wisdom throughout the year. They really help.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: I haven't heard the song, but I enjoy the plant in my backyard. Sometimes it has as many as eight blooms. Beautiful creation of God. FROM JACK: You can Google the song. It's worth listening to. Croce died at an early age...."there never seems to be enought time." No flowers here in Michigan, except for the Christmas amaryllis which is starting to grow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For years now, being one who asked for, even despite seemingly uninterest around me, asked for these ELCA Bible studies, I was shocked at the Assembly decision in the summer. Now, even though the Assembly decision carries, just because of the way people still are going about, really don't fully know if I and others are growing or not. The potential is big but to actually see any minds change seem slow to come.
S.H. in MI