Monday, December 21, 2009

Winning Words 12/21/09
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways, it can change someone else’s life.” (Margaret Cho) Margaret usually tells jokes with sarcastic wit, but this quote shows her serious side. Why not try to think of some small way in which you can be a “secret” Santa to someone…and maybe even change their life. ;-) Jack

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: What's interesting to me about Santa Claus is that he knows every person, whether they've been naughty or nice and so forth. And he is barely detectable, coming out of nowhere to give a gift with all that knowing and then disappearing again with nary a trace. It's a wonderful act, just having that story in our culture. I personally like the Goodfellows gift-giving we do in our church, giving gifts anonymously
to children who are on family assistance. FROM JACK: When a young child, I had an aunt who would place little "fun" gifts under the Christmas tree for me and my sister and label them: "From Santa Claus." Later on, we figured out that they were from my aunt. We carry on the tradition.

FROM L IN ILLINOIS: Margaret Cho is not only a hoot, she is right. I try to do lots of little things every day for others-- I had (have) excellent examples in both my dear parents. Merry Christmas FROM JACK: Much of my appreciation for her comedy comes from reading about her background.

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH: This I will keep in mind and do my best to implement. Often with some small, barely detectable, but meaningful words. FROM JACK:
It's not always easy to do a small good deed in secret, but I will keep on trying.

FROM PRJM IN MICHIGAN: It is really fun to be a "secret Santa", too! I hope you have lots of fun this Christmas-tide! FROM JACK: Ho, Ho, Ho!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What's interesting to me about Santa Claus is that he knows every person, whether they've been naughty or nice and so forth. And he is barely detectable, coming out of nowhere to give a gift with all that knowing and then disappearing again with nary a trace. It's a wonderful act, just having that story in our culture. I personally like the Goodfellows gift-giving we do in our church, giving gifts anonymously to children who are on family assistance. Pray seriously into it each year, hoping the gifts we give, we have somehow through the work of the Holy Spirit been knowing about the children and, even for a little bit, the children's lives have been changed and they have been able to bask in a sense of connection, of being loved for who they are. It's a barely detectable thing to do because for both the children and for us, the only wisp of a thread connecting us is that little tag with her/his name on it, everything else is in our thoughts and prayers for each other. Which are lifechanging love events of secrecy.
S.H. in MI