Monday, December 14, 2009

Winning Words 12/14/09
“Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth.” (J.K. Rowling) Maybe JKR’s Harry Potter books are successful, because they read the mind of the young and challenge it. Sometimes the older crowd forgets what it was like before they became old. It’s another instance of the value of trying to crawl inside of the person with whom you wish to communicate. ;-) Jack

FROM JH IN OHIO: love this! FROM JACK: It's the teacher in you.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: The aged are mistaken if they underestimate the potential of youth. However, the experience gained through aging leads the elderly to make judgments from some of the profligate things they see. It's significant that the most flagrant youth usually are the most visible...the really talented and seriously committed young people are often reserved and less noticed. FROM JACK: That seems to be part of the process. I've seen it in every generation. So, I'm optimistic about the future. MORE FROM RI: Your response to SG in Tampa was a good one.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: That is definitely the advantage of having so many grandchildren. They keep you young and up to date and on your toes. FROM JACK: I've found out that it's a two-way street, and I'd like to have it continue that way.

FROM JT IN MICHIGAN: Thanks for the Rowling quote.. I sometimes hear myself as I talk to the grandkids and know why they tune out our generation. We do have to crawl inside another if we hope to have true relationship. (Three grandsons) stayed overnight Saturday. The two younger boys were watching their American Ninja movie downstairs. (The 13-yr-old) wanted to watch the Pistons. He talked nonstop for four hours. It was great. I know which players he likes, what coach is good, etc. I also heard of his loss of respect
for Tiger Woods, his thought that abortion is taking of a life, and that love isn't shown by the giving of expensive gifts but by spending time with and enjoying the one you love. It was a great evening. FROM JACK: Maybe you should print this out and put it in your book of memories.

FROM A PRE-SCHOOL TEACHER IN ILLINOIS: ask a pre-schooler about anything. you will be schooled in basic creative logic. i learn something new each day and carry that knowledge to my next problem solving situation! FROM JACK: A good teacher learns, too. MORE FROM ML: with gratitude and enthusiasm!

FROM DMF IN MINNESOTA: Today’s WW was a rerun. FROM JACK: Prove it. MORE FROM DMF: I did. Did you even read the WW (and look at the date) of the message I forwarded? The quote is the same, but the date and commentary are different. MORE FROM JACK: It must be a good quote (and worth repeating) if you can remember it from two and a half years ago. You are good. MORE FROM DMF: It just shows that I read them even if I don’t respond with a pithy comment each time.

FROM DREM IN MICHIGAN: My son Isaac (who just turned 8 last week) and I have been reading the Harry Potter series together over the past year. We're on Book 4 right now - it really takes me back to being a kid again and Isaac loves the stories! I'm not sure if I want him to watch the movies (I hear they are a bit 'dark') but we are really enjoying the bonding time.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: I LOVED the Harry Potter books (AND the movies!) What an imagination she has ...awesome! FROM JACK: Just a kid at heart, I guess.

FROM ME IN CALIFORNIA: In general I agree, but there are some things for which age and experience are difficult to substitute. It is a concern that I have for some corners and upper reaches of our current administration. I hope I am wrong. FROM JACK: The quote simply says the "aged" at times underestimate the "youth." Your comment, while well taken, goes in a different direction. There are times when the youth underestimate the value of age and experience. If you and I sat down and just looked at the quote and my comment, I would be surprised if we were not in agreement.

No comments: