Friday, December 11, 2009

Winning Words 12/11/09
“What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others remains and is immortal.” (Albert Pike) The Japanese social activist Kagawa was so moved by the poverty of people that he would literally give the shirt off his back to a poor person. He’d be given a new shirt, and he would give that away. He’s remembered as a reformer, but I remember him most, because he cared for the poor. ;-) Jack

FROM GF IN MICHIGAN: Good one! FROM JACK: Action beats words.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: Nothing that we say or do is immortal....that is a deception under which some folks choose to live FROM JACK: Take it up with Albert.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Your Japanese example was a model for others. My wife would send her mother gifts of food, clothes, and pottery, but when she went home to visit, the items would be gone. Asked about it, her mother said, "oh I gave it to so-and-so who needed it more than I did." FROM JACK: Somehow, I'm not surprised. There are people like that, and your wife is one of them.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Wow. These WW are my favorite--everything done should be reflected upon to probe our intentions in light of them.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: great ww's, especially in this time of conspicuous giving. FROM JACK: To give away your only shirt to someone who has none, is conspicuous.

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN: LOVE this one Jack. I also like the saying, “Work is what you do for a living. Giving is what you do for a life.” Your saying also exemplifies this holy season of giving…to and for others. Another saying comes to mind: “Actions speak louder than words.” FROM JACK: Thanks for adding to the list of WINNING WORDS. Your saying also exemplifies this holy season of giving…to and for others. Another saying
comes to mind: “Actions speak louder than words.”

CWR IN B'MORE RESPONDS THRU HIS MAILBOX: In this Season in which "giving" and "consuming " often co-mingle, here (in the "WInning Words" below) is an extreme, yet tantalizingly noteworthy, reminder that gratitude includes the ability to share. We are so thankful for what we have and receive, that we are innately compelled to generously share, especially with those not as materially lucky as are we. This holiday can be one in which, especially now, we focus on our blessings, rather than upon our sorrows, for the good surrounding us , in the end, is what sustains us and keeps us whole, even when storm clouds hover.

FROM HAWKEYE GS: I wrote Seek The Holy Lamb several months ago. Today, it was sung in our church - lots of tears. The music is from a Celtic ballad, Green the Whole Year 'Round. Google the tune. FROM JACK: That's a beautiful tune. If you send "your" lyrics, I'll blog them. FROM GS:
SEEK THE HOLY LAMB Words by George Seaberg Music by Shay Healy
1. As I grew the sun would shine in all the whole day thru. Mother sang a lull-a-bye to brighten a sunny day.
I had hope to be kept whole to chase away any blue, the one that please’d my heart the most would be the Holy Lamb.
Chorus
Seek the Holy Lamb, Seek the Holy Lamb, when I have doubts and can’t find my way, I seek the Holy Lamb.
2. When married life and children came and things got in the way, I take my time to pray to you, be guided by you today. For I know when-ever I look for you you are easy to be found, as you come to me ‘neath my fav’rite place to seek the Holy Lamb.
Chorus
Seek the Holy Lamb, Seek the Holy Lamb, when I have doubts, can’t find my way, I seek the Holy Lamb.
3. But the fam’lys grown and the days grow short and the au-tumn winds, they blow, and the children turn to newer things as we sit at home alone. Mem-ries of other days come tum-bling from the past to re-mind us, like the sea-sons do, that life goes by so fast.
4. The win-ter lays her fin-gers cold on dark and lone-ly nights, but Christ-mas, it will soon be here to ush-er in Your Light. And when morn-ing breaks and the bells ring out, it is such a joy-ous sound to hear them ech-o in my heart to know the Holy Lamb.
Chorus
Seek the Holy Lamb, seek the Holy Lamb, when I have doubts, can’t find my way, I seek the Holy Lamb.
Seek the Holy Lamb, seek the Holy Lamb, when I have doubts, can’t find my way, I seek the Holy Lamb.

FROM MO IN ILLINOIS: I heard him speak at an American Baptist Convention, and also attended his Bible study at another Convention. Such a humble man...I always remember his quote :"I read that Jesus went about doing good. It bothers me that I am so easily content to just go about"...When you know the scope of his "doing good" it floors you that he probably meant what he said! He was an icon of the Faith!! FROM JACK: WOW! And I was impressed just reading about him in a book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. These WW are my favorite--everything done should be reflected upon to probe our intentions in light of them.
S.H. in MI