Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Winning Words 11/11/09
“Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?” Grandpa replied, “No, but I served in a company of heroes.” (Richard Winters) Today, on Veterans Day, it’s good to recall the sacrifices that have been made (and are being made) to preserve our freedom. Most vets aren’t looking for sympathy…just a little understanding. Today, I remember Soren, a good friend and church member whose name is on The Nam Wall. ;-) Jack

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN" Anymore, to me they are all heroes. not looking for sympathy...just a little understanding and the older I get, the more complexity that seems behind the reasons for these wars we engage in, the more humbled I am realizing people serve and live out responsibility for us all. Honestly don't know if we citizens do enough for our part. Taking a day to remember is good.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: i remember soren too. i can't imagine the struggle that his brother must have gone through losing his other half. even as a little girl the thought of it was heartbreaking. so many families with similar losses. i will never understand the violent nature of the human state. peace be with us all someday. FROM JACK: I knew that I would hear from you today.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN:"I remember Clarence who was presented the Croix de Guerre by Chas. DeGaulle. FROM JACK: Tell me about Clarence and the Cross of War. MORE FROM JS: MORE FROM JS: He was an active member of POG ....Veep of Council, etc.....He was a potato farmer from the UP and joined the army .... ended up as a Tank Commander under Patton....was shot out of his tank three times....escaped from the Germans in Belgium....later became the head of the Tank Arsenal....went to Mich Tech on the GI Bill with the express purpose of developing better tanks. He said the Sherman was a lousy tank. Met with Nasser about the sale of US Tanks to Egypt and was a regular at the NATO Headquarters .....after retirement he and another UP vet used to take care of the lawn and gardens at POG. Great guy.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: And I remember Aaron Kempf, Jr., Salem, Williamsport, Pa., Battle of the Bulge. FROM JACK: A fierce and bloody battle. Things seemed to be going badly for the Allies and the Germans demanded: Surrender. Gen Anthony McAuliffe gave a one-word reply: NUTS!

FROM MOLINER CF (A VETERAN): A mutual friend of ours has a daughter who is a fourth grade teacher. Each year, at this time, I receive a thank you letter from one of her students. What a warm feeling this gives and I always respond. Here's a teacher who is passing on good values. FROM JACK: What a great teaching project, in more ways than one.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: My dad proudly served in the Navy...on an LST. He was a baker and a machine gunner. His LST was hit by kamikaze planes. He had a lot of horrifying stories, humorous stories, touching stories and loving stories he shared with us growing up. He was my hero. I am deeply deeply grateful to all of our service men and women for kept and keep us free. God Bless them and America! FROM JACK: You are who you were. Our parents are a great influence.

FROM L IN ILLINOIS: When they first started talking about the WWII memorial, I thought, "It's about time!" My godfather served in Europe and later in Korea. My dad, who is younger, was a Marine, occupying China after the second world war ended. You'll find both their names in the memorial's WWII Registry of Remembrance, celebrating vets and civilians alike who contributed to the war effort. Recently, the Quad Cities has been sending our WWII vets to visit the memorial in DC, and I am proud to contribute to that worthy cause as well. I always have felt the utmost respect and gratitude for the lives lost, changed or just interrupted by serving in the military. What I'd like to see someday is a memorial in D.C. to military families.
FROM JACK: I can see why Veterans Day is special to you. One of those who accompanied the Q-C vets to Washington, is a reader of Winning Words and contributes to the blog.

FROM HAWKEYE GS: We had an interesting article in the paper today which was an interview of two veterans - who served in WW II. One is 87 - the other 85. Both were shot down, one was shot down on his 47th mission, got out of the plane at 19,000 feet and made his way out of southern Europe, the other on his 44th mission, was shot down, parachuted, rode a raft in the SW Pacific for six hours, and returned to his unit and flew 14 more missions.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: It is awe inspiring for the children and grandchildren of veterans to visit to National Cemetery in Bushnell, Fl. Today the crowd was smaller than usual, but the program was beautiful. Many of the speakers have family buried there, and the mayor of Mascotte who gave the invocation had a son who was killed in Iraq in 2004.What is hard to believe as one from the WWII era is how many wars we have fought since then and how many young men and women have helped to keep our nation safe so far. FROM JACK: ...and the answer is blowin' in the wind. I'm impressed that the mayor who lost a son in Iraq gave the invocation.....a prayer from the heart.

FROM GP IN MICHIGAN: I obviously remember USO shows as I had the priveledge of hauling a few USO tours around all those years ago. FROM JACK: Since you are a veteran and a pilot, I expected that you might have something to post on Nov 11.

FROM INDY GENIE: I remembered Soren with you yesterday....I'll never forget that memorial service.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anymore, to me they are all heroes. not looking for sympathy...just a little understanding and the older I get, the more complexity that seems behind the reasons for these wars we engage in, the more humbled I am realizing people serve and live out responsibility for us all. Honestly don't know if we citizens do enough for our part. Taking a day to remember is good. Thanks.
S.H. in MI