Monday, October 05, 2009

Winning Words 10/5/09
“I really do believe I can accomplish a great deal with a big grin. I know some people find that disconcerting, but that doesn’t matter.” (Beverly Sills) Ms Sills sang for the Metropolitan Opera, but I remember her most of all for her smile and her philanthropy. Practice a grin in the mirror today, and then see what happens when you use it during conversation with someone. Is a grin the same as a smile? ;-) Jack

SONG BY STUART HAMBLEN
So, let the sun shine in, face it with a grin
Smilers never lose and frowners never win
So, let the sun shine in, face it with a grin
Open up your heart and let the sun shine in

A DICTIONARY DEFINITION
GRIN, v.
1. To set the teeth together and open the lips, or to open the mouth and withdraw the lips
from the teeth, so as to show them, as in laughter or scorn.
2. To fix the teeth, as in anguish.
GRIN, n. The act of closing the teeth and showing them, or of
withdrawing the lips and showing the teeth.
GRIN, n. A snare or trap. [Not in use.]
GRIN, v.t. To express by grinning.
He grinned horribly a ghastly smile.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: Will all the WW people be Cheshire Cats today??? FROM JACK: You will be interested to know that the root of "grin" is also the root of "snarl." My aunt used to have an expression: "He smiled like a cat eating soap."

FROM MOLINER CF: "Bubbles" is one of my all-time favorites. And I ain't much for opera. Must have been her pleasant demeanor. FROM JACK: ....and her grin.

FROM INDY GENIE: a grin has more personality

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Below was from earlier, I just got back in. I didn’t think you’d post it. I understand. FROM JACK: OK, if it makes you grin, here's your response:
That sounds more like President Obama, on his way to Copenhagen.
I still think our president has a great smile.


FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I used to think I knew how to grin but, after reading the dictionary definition here on your blog, I'm not so sure. When I tried to follow the instructions just now, it was pretty awkward and didn't feel natural. Maybe that's why I'm not an opera singer either--do opera singers often put their teeth together and open their lips? Smiling on a gray, dismal Monday. FROM JACK: I also remember someone saying once...Wipe that silly grin off of your face.

FROM C&AS IN MICHIGAN: A grin is right in between a smile and a chuckle! FROM JACK: How do you draw a chuckle?

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: my last words to mark before he walks out the door for work are, "show me your smile!". as for me, i work with children, it's like being in a smile factory! FROM JACK: A smile factory! I like it.

FROM MOLINER CF: "Outside the box" is the Mother of Invention.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to think I knew how to grin but, after reading the dictionary definition here on your blog, I'm not so sure. When I tried to follow the instructions just now, it was pretty awkward and didn't feel natural. Maybe that's why I'm not an opera singer either--do opera singers often put their teeth together and open their lips?
Smiling on a gray, dismal Monday,
S.H. in MI