Thursday, October 29, 2009

Winning Words 10/29/09
“Indecision may or may not be my problem.” (Jimmy Buffett—songwriter) I like the title of one of JB’s songs: “Cheeseburger in Paradise.” I wonder if there will be such a thing…or whether I would like it. Buffett’s quote on indecision reminds me of the song, sung by Ella Fitzgerald, Undecided. If I can recall: “First you say you will, and then you won’t. You’re undecided now, so what are you gonna do?” ;-) Jack

FROM GRAMMA GENIE: I'd like you to meet Ruby Elizabeth Garrett. She was born this morning to proud and loving parents Jason and Nancy.....and a bunch of equally proud and loving grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. What a day! What a miracle! Life is good. God is good.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Even when we make a decision, we can't know all of the consequences. But faith in God's care for us gives the confidence to make the decision. (As for Ella, she was superb. I remember her album during my college years, Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Rogers and Hart Songbook, for warm feelings on a cold night.) FROM JACK: When the choice is made, that sets in motion a whole stream of consequences. "You can't go home again!"

FROM JH IN OHIO: good one... or is it? FROM JACK: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

FROM JL IN MICHIGAN: My saying is: "Analysis, analysis, paralysis." FROM JACK: I like the old Indian saying: "Heap big smoke, but no fire!"

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: I sit and watch those ads on TV and think it must be that way in Paradise that a person can have all the junk food that they want!!!! Don't those Big Macs and Breakfast Burritos look great?
FROM JACK: I wonder if they have Whoppers in Heaven? Those are my favorite.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I was going to write a long response to this message but decided not too ...I think ...maybe I will later... or not. I'm not sure. FROM: LUCY VAN PELT: "You're a good man Charlie Brown, if only you weren't so wishy-washy."

FROM L IN ILLINOIS: Hmmm... can't make up my mind about this one. FROM JACK: So. what are you gonna do?

FROM MOLINER TG: Yes, Jack, there was such a thing for Buffet. He has hung out for years on the Caribbean Island of St. Barthelemy (St. Bart’s) and conceived the song (I am told) while enjoying a cheeseburger in a harborside pub. I have sailed boats into St. Bart’s several times when doing bareboat charters and it truly is paradise. The capital of St. Bart’s is Gustavia so even the Scandinavians took part at one time in the colonization of the Caribbean. FROM JACK: Now, THAT is interesting! I guess there is such a thing as paradise on earth; at, least, we have a village named, Paradise, in Michigan's Upper Penninsula. We also have a place called, Hell, near to where I live. I haven't tried a cheeseburger in either place.

FROM MOLINER CF: I see where The Procrastinator's Society's annual meeting has been postponed until next year....again. FROM JACK: Darn! I missed it again!

FROM ED IN ARIZONA: A Jimmy Buffett Quote, YES! That quote is from a song called "Don't chu Know" - a lesser know (but goodie) song by JB. I always think about that quote when trying to make a hard decision (well, or any for that matter) ...just to comfort me in the fact that other people struggle to make decisions as
well. In fact, there is another good quote in that same song that comes to mind when I'm lost out on some Hike out in the middle of nowhere.... "Frank Bama once said the best navigators are not quite sure where they're going until they get there...and then they're still not sure."

DON'T CHU KNOW by Jimmy Buffett
You can spend all your days in the grind
Converting your nickels to dimes
ou could stuff all your pockets till they overflow
Dont chu know
Dont chu know
Dont chu know

ou can say you're too old to be young
ou think you're too smart to be dumb
But the well-seasoned pro knows how long he can go
Dont chu know
Dont chu know
Dont chu know

ou can sing every song that's been sung
Offer the moon and the sun
But if you ask me it's all been both said and been done

We're just recycled history machines
Cavemen in faded blue jeans
It's the unanswered question in each one of us
Dont chu know
Dont chu know
Dont chu know

The more we learn the less we know
What you keep is what you can't let go
Take it fast or take it slow
Just one way for you to go
Don chu know

Spoken:
Let's go now

You can sing every song that's been sung
Offer the moon and the sun
But if you ask me it's not in the race that you run

It's that outcast in each one of us
Who get's the girl that is too glamorous
There's no one to deceive it's just all make believe
Dont chu know
Dont chu know
Dont chu know
Oh....
Dont chu know
Dont chu know
Dont chu know

Dont chu know
Dont chu know
Dont chu know

I Don't Know
I Don't Know

Spoken:
Wait a minute! Wait a minute! I can name that song in, in two notes.
It's another one of those songs that I've written about not knowing much, or
not knowing what I was doing, or not knowing where I was going, or not knowing
where I'd been. eah, Frank Bama once said the best navigators are not quite sure
where they're going until they get there...and then they're still not sure.
But I know one thing...Indecision may or may not be my problem.
And this song is
gone way too long, and it's, she's gettin out of control, and oh my god!...


FROM PRCH ON CAPE COD: Forget the cheeseburgers: I'd go for stuffed quahogs, striped bass, or a lindser torte. sometimes indecision is a blessing - I consult and dialogue more with others...other times it's a curse - that prevents me from getting everything done (there's that Protestant work ethic, that good Lutheran 'preach grace alone' but live 'works righteousness'....Peace

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Maybe....

FROM MW IN ILLINOIS: Nice to know you're a JB fan, I play his CD often when I'm cleaning or sewing.
Speaking of sewing, we have a group of ladies that make quilts for Lutheran World Relief and in October (last weekend) we place them on the chairs in the Worship center, so people can sit on them. This year we made 160.




No comments: