Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Winning Words 10/21/09
“To hold the same views at forty as we held at twenty is to have been stupefied for a score of years.” (RLS) Kenny Rogers made popular the song, The Gambler. I like the lines: “You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em, Know when to walk away and know when to run.” I guess that goes for ideas as well as cards. I embrace change. My mind has changed for the better with the times….I think! How about you? ;-) Jack

FROM BD IN MICHIGAN: I agree with these Winning Words. Like I tell my kids, Believe me, I’m right – I’m OLD!!

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: Reminds me of the old saying...."You've gone a long ways...because you had so far to go" FROM JACK: When I look back...the basics are there, but a lot of other stuff has undergone change.

FROM HS IN MICHIGAN: I will keep that in mind and get back to you in 15 yrs FROM JACK: I'll probably be at Pine Lake Cemetery at Middlebelt and Lone Pine.

FROM MOLINER CF: The only thing that needs regular change is diapers. Show me a man who always seeks change and I'll show you an unhappy one.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: I think so, too...

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: I agree! Reminds me of Ecclesiastes 3:1-3. A time for everything - A time to plant, a time to sow, a time to harvest, etc. Funny how the wisest man who ever lived later regretted many of his early ambitions and passions. It seems to be pretty easy to get sidetracked along life's journey into distraction. However, it occurs to me that so much of our learned wisdom and knowledge come from our mistakes? **Makes me so Thankful that we serve a God who knew we desperately need His help to make it through.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: You never count your money, when you're sittin' at the table. There'll be time enough for countin', when the dealin's done. Song was written by Don Schlitz but made famous by Kenny Rogers. FROM JACK: The performer wouldn't be successful without the composer.

FROM ST IN MICHIGAN: Thank you for the good words.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: i turned 54 yesterday! i take every opportunity to not be stupified. i have learned much in these years on earth and look forward to becoming less stupid each year for a very long time!

FROM SG IN TAMPA: Well. we've lived long enough to know that there are many,many changes. I guess the main idea of it all is to keep on trying to build a better world. That probably is one of the reasons that we are still here, in my humble opinion. FROM JACK: Everett Dirksen was not my favorite senator, but I've always admired him because of his response when he was criticized by fellow GOPers for changing his vote on the Civil Rights legislation. It went something like this: "Anyone who doesn't change his mind is either dead or in an insane asylum." Why do so many people resist change? MORE FROM SG: Mostly because they are afraid. Some things don't need change such as one's core beliefs. Our generation, and especially those of us who grew up in the midwest, are lucky on two accounts. With the war we knew what was and is important. After the war in college there was an emphasis on social justice. MORE FROM JACK: We seem to be on the same wavelength. We are Moliners; we're from Moline!

FROM PRFM IN WISCONSIN: Your WW word today reminded me how my mind has changed about ministry in our church, and how we must be open to everyone . Thanks for your daily word, which keeps my mind open! FROM JACK: Thanks to college and seminary professors, colleagues and lots of reading and pondering and working with all kinds of people, I have changed (I think) for the better. There's still more to be done. MORE FROM FM: Change and growth are a part of life . . . thank goodness!

No comments: