Monday, October 12, 2009

Winning Words 10/12/09
“THOU SHALT NOT WHINE.” (sign in a doctor’s office) When I saw it, I wondered if it were directed at me or at the staff or at the doctor. The word, whine, is from the Old English, which compares the sound to the wind in a chimney. Anyone who’s raised kids knows what it sounds like. A football coach said to his team: “Be winners, not whiners.” I’ll post some synonyms on the blog for you to use as the situation warrants. ;-) Jack

SYNONYMS FOR WHINE: Bitch, beef, grumble, grouse, gripe, bellyache, snivel, pule. Can you think of others? I heard someone say to me once when I was complaining: "Would you like some cheese with your whine?"

FROM KB IN MICHIGAN: I enjoyed this morning's "WW's" as I always do--but after spending the weekend with the grandchildren. it seemed especially meaningful…and then of course there is the Lions's…

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Actually bitching, beefing, grumbling, grousing, griping, bellyaching, sniveling seem like the crappiest kind of whining to do but from what was on the internet dictionary pule seems not so distasteful. I was surprised. It's not a very attractive word. Sort of sounds like puke. Oh well, one learns something every day. Wonder if I can go a whole day without whining or puling? FROM JACK: So...you seem to think that there's good whining and bad whining. Maybe you're right.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: "Whine"....sounds coming from Herb Chilstrom during CORE meeting in Indiana FROM JACK: Quitcher bellyachin'! JS RESPONDS: That sounds like a "fine whine"

FROM PO IN MICHIGAN: I had this one on my desk at Mercy College when I was clinical coordinator for the Physician Assistant program --- for my adult students. FROM JACK: Good for you. I might not have had it on my desk, because I think a pastor is there to listen to some whining. However, I might eventually have said, "OK, now let's see what we can do about the situation" ....and move on from there. (Ideally)

FROM JB IN WISCONSIN: My favorite whine is I wanna go shopping!

FROM LP IN MICHIGAN: I wondered if it were directed at me or at the staff or at the doctor. I'm going to guess (d) all of the above. Each party probably needs a reminder here and again. I know I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually bitching, beefing, grumbling, grousing, griping, bellyaching, sniveling seem like the crappiest kind of whining to do but from what was on the internet dictionary pule seems not so distasteful. I was surprised. It's not a very attractive word. Sort of sounds like puke. Oh well, one learns something every day. Thanks, Pastor Freed. Wonder if I can go a whole day without whining or puling?
S.H. in MI