Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Winning Words 9/30/09
“What you possess in the world will be found at the day of your death to belong to someone else. But what you are will be yours forever.” (Henry Van Dyke) People on The Antiques Roadshow, often bring in quite valuable things that once belonged to a deceased relative. “If grandma only knew…” It bears repeating: “I’ve never seen a hearse pulling a U-Haul trailer.” The life we live is far more important than the stuff we own. Let’s think about what we want to pass on to our survivors. ;-) Jack

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Trying to live each day, telling people I love them, thanking them and telling God how thankful I am for them, reconciling where it's necessary, forgiving, asking for forgiveness, when I die I hope I don't leave anyone with a pile of guilt and years of unresolved grief. Hope they are genuinely thankful I've died.
FROM JACK: ...not that you have died, but that you have lived!

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: There is one material possession that seems to defy this law....."American Express Travelers Cheques: Good Forever." FROM JACK: Put the card in the casket.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: "A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches......" FROM JACK: And yours is one of the good ones.

FROM MOLINER CF: That's interesting: A hearse towing a Hertz

FROM CS IN WISCONSIN: This is an awesome quote!!!! I’m so glad we downsized by half of what we had in IL…haven’t missed anything yet. I’m know we could pare down some more and not miss it either…our kids don’t know what to do with the “treasures” they’ve already received from grandparents, let alone what will come when we are gone.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: I have never been too interested in "stuff." In fact, I literally hate to shop, unlike all of my friends and family.But I did write the book a few years ago, The Guffeys and the De Taeyes, which I gave to our five children and five older grandchildren. Now I am having to two copies reprinted for my two thirteen year old granddaughters. So, in the dedication I wrote that the 66 page book Is to help my children and grandchildren to "know the history of your family which came to this country to start a new life, to worship God as they wished, and to help to build a great country." After a brief synopsis it continues "to help you count the blessings of parents and grandparents who have taught you to be the best person that you can be, to develop the talents and gifts that God has given to you, to know the difference between right and wrong, to be a good citizen. to be a loving, kind, helpful, fair, and generous person, and to help you get to Heaven.


FROM PRPH IN MINNESOTA: widsom indeed! if only the world believed it!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Very timely as we try to deal with Gary's mom's possessions. She lived simply and had just enough. It's the way I want to be. Just enough! Our treasures have been given away already...with the exception of my scrapbooking albums. I want to be known by who I was...not what I had.

FROM PRAW IN ILLINOIS: Jack.....this is a grand reminder. Just this week, we made pre-funeral arrangements and feel the clock ticking. We look around our home and realize that what we have is for our convenience. We doubt that any of our children or their family is going to find much of interest to them. No antiques, just worn stuff. But we hope and pray that what we tried to share of our faith has taken root in their lives and will bear fruit now and forever. Heaven looks more promising every day., especially as our health declines and so do our abilities.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Trying to live each day, telling people I love them, thanking them and telling God how thankful I am for them, reconciling where it's necessary, forgiving, asking for forgiveness, when I die I hope I don't leave anyone with a pile of guilt and years of unresolved grief. Hope they are genuinely thankful I've died.
Peace and love,
S.H. in MI