Monday, September 28, 2009

Winning Words 9/28/09
“Since nobody’s perfect, how good is good enough?” (Andy Stanley) A.S.’s book explores the question: What does it take to get to heaven?” What’s your theory? How much goodness, if any, is needed? Martin Luther said that three things will surprise him when he gets to heaven: some will be there who he didn’t expect to see; some will not be there who he did expect; and most surprising of all…he will be there. ;-) Jack

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Heaven is not ours by what we do. But by God's Grace and accepting his free offer of everlasting life. We do not enter heaven by doing, but by believing. Many say GRACE stands for God's Riches at Christs Expense.

FROM PRJS: You have to be as good as Jesus was....which means no one is good enough....Grace is the only entrant to God's realm...we have to have the sense to say "Yes" to that Grace since we do have the right to say "No"....think Abdiel in Paradise Lost...

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: The Bible, God's Word to us is very clear.....I'm sure you can quote the words if you choose. Thankfully, God is merciful. FROM JACK: Psalm 14:3 They have all gone astray, they are all alike corrupt; there is none that does good, no, not one.

FROM CB IN THE PHILIPPINES: I have never gotten into doing Blogs as yet. I have a good quote that i think is very true." Love, Humility and Prayer solve all problems." If we are faithful to love those around us and hunble enought to confess our mistakes when we make one and not let our pride get in the way and then faithful to pray for our loved ones and our seemingly enemies. The World would be a better place. FROM JACK: The Jewish people in our community are observing Yom Kippur, which is much like what you are describing.

FROM MOLINER CF: Heaven is a pretty lofty goal. FROM JACK: "I Got Shoes" Lyrics by Nana Mouskouri
I got a song you got a song
All of God's children got a song
When I get to Heaven
Gonna sing my song
Gonna sing all over God's Heaven
Ain't going there Heaven Heaven
I'm gonna sing all over God's Heaven
I got a harp you got a harp
All of God's children got a harp
When I get to Heaven
Gonna play my harp
I'm gonna play all over God's Heaven
Heaven Heaven
Everybody's talking about Heaven
Ain't going there Heaven Heaven
I'm gonna play all over God's Heaven
I got a robe you got a robe
All of God's children got a robe
When I get to Heaven
Gonna put on my robe
I'm gonna shout all over God's Heaven
Heaven Heaven
Everybody's talking about Heaven
Ain't going there Heaven Heaven
I'm gonna shout all over God's Heaven
I got a wings you got a wings
All of God's children got a wings
When I get to Heaven
Gonna open my wings
I'm gonna fly all over God's Heaven
Heaven Heaven
Everybody's talking about Heaven
Ain't going there Heaven Heaven
I'm gonna fly all over God's Heaven
I got shoes you got shoes
All of God's children got shoes
When I get to Heaven
Gonna put on my shoes
I'm gonna walk all over God's Heaven
Heaven Heaven
Everybody's talking about Heaven
Ain't going there Heaven Heaven
I'm gonna walk all over God's Heaven
I got a harp you got a harp
All of God's children got a harp
When I get to Heaven
Gonna play my harp
I'm gonna play all over God's Heaven
Heaven Heaven
Everybody's talking about Heaven
Ain't going there Heaven Heaven
I'm gonna play all over God's Heaven
I got a song you got a song
All of God's children got a song
When I get to Heaven
Gonna sing my song
Gonna sing all over God's Heaven
Ain't going there Heaven Heaven
I'm gonna sing all over God's Heaven

FROM MS IN MINNESOTA: Wow—If Martin Luther has doubts, what does that say for the rest of us!!! FROM JACK: I think that he's simply saying that heaven isn't something that we deserve; it's a gift from God, beyond what he deserves.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I know my grubby thinking; it can never be good enough. Pretty crappy actually. But what gives me the greatest comfort and peace is I believe so strongly that God knows all my grubby thinking and, as long as that's the case, I also believe I have a chance as He melts me, molds me, fills me and uses me. My theory is it's all about God and what He is doing here that is going to get me to heaven. Trying to be faithful and not fall away, not let the belief/theory be shaken. FROM JACK: Regarding heaven? Yes, it's all
about God.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN" Left to my own devices I am lost, I'm afraid. I am depending on a whole lot of grace! FROM JACK: You and I and Luther are in the same boat.

FROM DS IN SAN DIEGO: Jack, this is one of the things we discuss quite often in our men's Bible Study group. I hope I surprise a lot of people by being there. FROM JACK: I think that "heaven" will reveal many surprises. What if it were more like Detroit than San Diego?

FROM SG IN TAMPA: Trying to be perfect might be a good start. By the way. that was very interesting a few days ago when you described how you started to save your winning words. I am so glad that you did as they are always thought provoking. Thanks for including me. MORE FROM SG: Another reply to that question. Everyone has the free will to decide how they want to live their lives. Last week we went to a going away party for a young man who is a friend of one of my grandsons who is entering the Trappist Monastery in Kentucky tomorrow. In the early 50's I knew a fellow from Moline who went there. That is when I read Seven Storey Mountain. FROM JACK: I might last a week as a Trappist. BTW, I wonder if using the computer counts against the vow of silence. BTW AGAIN: I read yesterday about a girl could neither hear nor speak. When she wanted to ignore them, she'd just close her eyes. True story!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know my grubby thinking; it can never be good enough. Pretty crappy actually. But what gives me the greatest comfort and peace is I believe so strongly that God knows all my grubby thinking and, as long as that's the case, I also believe I have a chance as He melts me, molds me, fills me and uses me. My theory is it's all about God and what He is doing here that is going to get me to heaven. Trying to be faithful and not fall away, not let the belief/theory be shaken.
S.H. in MI