Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Winning Words 9/2/09
“Children are not things to be molded, but are people to be unfolded.” (Jess Lair) This is a good one for teachers and parents; in fact, we all need to be reminded of the potential that is in each individual. As parent, grandparent and teacher, I’m in awe as I watch a life unfold…like the opening of a beautiful flower. ;-) Jack

FROM R.I. NEAR BOSTON: That's an uncommon perception and indeed very sensitive. Instead of shaping children according to our own vision, feed and nurture and support them to enable their individual growth to maturity. I like your analogy...the sprout developing, the leaves enlarging, the bud unfolding and the final flowering result. FROM JACK: I like to see a map unfolded....and all the beautiful possibilities laid out.

FROM L.P. IN MICHIGAN: Our little daughter has picked up several responses from Sunday worship which
she will inject into conversation throughout the day. Tonight as she snacked on crackers and milk before story time and bed she piped up "Thanks be to God!" So, I asked her what she is thankful for. "Cookies"...(pause)..."and waffles and pancakes".

FROM S.G. IN TAMPA: Yes, what you are is God's gift to you; what you become is your gift to God.

FROM L IN ILLINOIS: My 19-year-old college junior keeps reminding me that she is an "adult." So I especially like today's WW. FROM JACK: She's unfolding. Enjoy the beauty of it.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Kids are a real joy. Try to stay one. FROM JACK: Have you noticed how I keep referring to things from the past?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Now that we have three grandchildren, it is such a blessing to sit back and watch them grow instead of having to teach them to grow. When we are parents, we nurture and teach... most of the lessons in life come from us and later come from experiences. But grandparents can actually watch the whole process and what a wonderful gift! We interject nurturing and teaching but in a different way.

FROM S.G. IN MICHIGAN: What a perfect proverb to begin the first day of classes (tomorrow). As always, thanks for the inspiration. FROM JACK: Here's some advice to share with your students...."I will not yell in class. I will not throw things. I will not get mad. I will be good, because I am the teacher."

FROM INDY GENIE: Reminds me of Kahlil Gibran's words "On Children". "Your children are not your children, they are the sons and the daughters of Life's longing for itself" I've been lucky in my life to witness alot of flowers opening!

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: Could not agree more! In fact when I look at the grandchildren all I can see is "possibility". Mariah and I talk a lot about that. BTW yesterday morning our Bible Study group went to the Holocaust Memorial Center. What an experience! FROM JACK: One of the saddest things about the Holocaust was that it was the result of someone wanting to create a super race, starting with the children.

No comments: