Friday, September 18, 2009

Winning Words 9/18/09
“…a place to get all of your answers questioned.” (Gwendolyn Miller) Gwen is a pastor who’s writing about her seminary experience at LSTC. Do have a place to go to, or a person to talk with, where your answers can be challenged in an encouraging and a helpful way? I’ve been fortunate to have had such experiences. And I realize that I still have more answers that need to be questioned. Do you? ;-) Jack

FROM MKH IN MICHIGAN: Does anyone have all their questions answered?? FROM JACK: More importantly, how many people have their "answers" questioned. It's a hard thing to have our opinions questioned in a thoughtful way.

FROM PO IN MICHIGAN: Many more. And interestingly enough, it's my youngest son who (gently) challenges me to 'tighten up my thinking" and helps keeps me honest. FROM JACK: Your answer reminds me of the child who pointed and said, "The king has no clothes."

FROM L IN ILLINOIS: My dad has all the answers. Just ask him! LOL FROM JACK: :-) :-) :-)

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: My place to go is Bible study and also prayer evenings where we share our concerns aloud. That's a great way to put it--answers questioned. FROM JACK: Your church's garden is not the only place where things grow.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: I definitely have more questions than answers! FROM JACK: But what do you do about them? That's the question that is before all of us. Good luck. MORE FROM EMT: I think more questions arise when you realize that you do not have all the answers. In fact, I think that having more questions might be part of the answers: Our Wednesday morning Bible Studies has about 20 very vocal women of varying degrees of Biblical knowledge and studying different ideas is encouraged. Through contact and openness to others, I think a person challenges their own perconceived ideas and therefore generates
more questions. Being an extremely curious person also helps, I think!

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: My uncle arranged for me to receive your "Winning Words" inspirational email. This has been such a Blessing to me. I look forward to opening it every day as I start my day.

FROM MOLINER CF: If it needs to be questioned, it's not an answer. FROM JACK: I guess that's an answer, but it raises some questions.

FROM LG IN MICHIGAN: Where / what is LSTC? I like the quote--very thought-provoking. Am I even a person interested in having my answers questioned? Hmmm...have to think about that for awhile... FROM JACK: The Lutheran School of Theology is near the Univ of Chicago. I don't think that we are ever too old or too sure of ourselves, not to be ready to have our "answers" examined. Prejudices continue, often because people are so set in their ways that they're unwilling to change. Your work is about getting people to take a new look at the answers they've been giving toward the problem of substance abuse.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Some folks think there are more than one answer for all questions....sometimes that's true. It's also true sometimes there is only one answer but we don't like the question.

FROM RI. IN PRAGUE: (From Prague) You are frequently questioning my answers, and I find that valuable. FROM JACK: I have to be careful. Not everyone finds that valuable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My place to go is Bible study and also prayer evenings where we share our concerns aloud.
That's a great way to put it--answers questioned.
S.H. in MI