Thursday, August 13, 2009

Winning Words 8/13/09
“It isn’t about winning. It’s about helping others cross the finish line.” (Ann Guzdzial, Special Olympics) It started in Michigan in 1975, when, during a race, a runner fell and two others stopped, went back and helped him cross the finish line. The Special Olympics, founded by Eunice Kennedy Shriver, is built on that spirit. It’s not about winning, it’s about having the opportunity to participate. Congratulations to those who stop, reach out and help. This world needs more caring people. ;-) Jack

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: I agree wholeheartedly. Sports is not about winning, it's about playing the game. And if the competition is going to mean anything you want your opponent to be as strong as can be. FROM JACK: Yes, it's about the game. However, the quote is about helping the disadvantaged to play and enjoy the game, without the focus on winning or losing.

FROM P.O. IN MICHIGAN: Thanks for this one.

FROM S.H. IN MICHIGAN: I don't know how many times in this game of life the "feeling better than others" attitude comes up: I'm on a team, you're not, I'm still in a marriage, you're not, I've still got a job, you don't, I've got health, you've got some sort of chronic illness, that Special Olympics attitude is surely much more winning than the attitude described above. We should all constantly reach for the Special Olympics attitude
and then we will be winners too.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: I am proud to share her name. Unusual as it is! FROM JACK: Eunice is from Greek and means, She who makes fortunate conquest. Happy victory!

FROM P.H. IN MINNESOTA: amen to that!

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Yes, she will be missed. My prayers to her family.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I remember reading about those very special people! I've run across several people in my life who would go above and beyond for others. They are true blessings.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: The one who stops and helps someone across the finish line is the true winner.

FROM F.M. IN WISCONSIN: A fitting word on the day that Eunice K. is laid to rest.

FROM S.H. IN MICHIGAN: as my daughter was growing up and even up until now, she has commented tersely that she has been able to watch her friends and then try to learn from their mistakes. That's how she succeeded at finding what doesn't work. I think she has even watched me and is trying not to make my same mistakes, which she has found in me. And so the wheel turns. Undoubtedly there are some failings for which there is no original example for. We each have some of those I suppose.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Her funeral was most appropriate for one who had given so much. I especially thought Maria Shriver did an outstanding job. FROM JACK: I was moved as she struggled lifting the casket.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are a great Winning Words, Pastor Freed. I don't know how many times in this game of life the "feeling better than others" attitude comes up: I'm on a team, you're not, I'm still in a marriage, you're not, I've still got a job, you don't, I've got health, you've got some sort of chronic illness, that Special Olympics attitude is surely much more winning than the attitude described above. We should all constantly reach for the Special Olympics attitude and then we will be winners too.
S.H. in MI