Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Winning Words 7/8/09
“If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.” (Michael Jackson) I’m not a big fan of Michael, but I do like some of his work, and I like what he had to say about being able to deal with life when you feel that you are loved. ;-) Jack.

FROM JACK: Most of the time Al Sharpton and I aren't on the same page, but I liked what he had to say to Michael's children at the funeral. "There was nothing strange about your daddy. What was strange was what he had to deal with."

FROM MOLINER LIZ: I felt sorry for his poor daughter who got up in front of the world at her father's memorial service to speak (and be seen publicly) for the first time. Exploitation? I hope not. I hope it was her choice to get up there and speak, but somehow I doubt it. What a sad story all around... FROM JACK: I had mixed feelings about that, but in retrospect, it gave me a new impression of Michael as a father. I can go with that.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: I successfully avoided any Michael Jackson coverage yesterday, as was my goal. It’s too much. A great singer/writer and talent, yes, but enough already. Imagine if Cap and Trade and Health Care got the debate and coverage, or even the cursory investigation Jackson’s death is getting? JACK'S REPLY: I made a decision not to watch, but after a couple of hours I decided to tune in, and I was glad I did...just to get the flavor of it. I could have left the source of the quote off.....and you might have thought that the words were pretty good. I'm a multi-tasker. I can still keep up on Cap and Trade, Health Care and questions about the Jackson death.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Some people love all of the people all of trhe time and all people love some of the people some of the time but all people don't love all of the people all of the time. (Abe Engwall)

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I don't watch tv during the day and chose not to watch the coverage. Right now there are many other things to be concerned about. Sometimes the media makes a circus out of the very thing which should be respectful and tactful. I felt very sorry for his family to have to endure the circus....if they in fact, wanted a quiet funeral. I was not a fan either, but he did have talent for music and dancing.

FROM F.M. IN WISCONSIN: It was interesting what his daughter said about him yesterday at the Memorial Service . . . a great dad. JACK'S REPLY: Sometimes we need to be reminded that the "stars" are actually human beings.

FROM D.S. IN CALIFORNIA: Jack, the thought in his quote was interesting, but I am not sure that the feeling of "being" loved is that important in getting past the day to day trials. Perhaps more important (or just as
important) is loving others as well as being able to at least "like" yourself. From everything I have been reading, Michael did not like himself and needed the adulation of children to be fulfilled. I think he was a very sad person inside, but a great talent on the outside. FROM JACK: It's hard to judge another person, based on what someone writes. I was moved by what his daughter said. To me, that was a first-hand observation.
I also happen to think that the feeling of being loved by family and friends makes intolerable situations somewhat more tolerable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, this is a really cool quote, especially remembering some of the stuff years ago in the media about Michael Jackson (and it happens to all of our famous people it seems like--there is a certain viscious frenzy sometimes to our media in the U.S.A) I hope, when we really think about a famous person's life and all that they've done, we can simmer down our attraction to hearing all the gossip about their personal lives. This goes for gossip about all our regular friends, neighbors and friends too.
S.H. in MI