Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Winning Words 7/29/09
“Refuse to accept the inevitable.” (Unknown) I saw these words on the face of a wall clock the other day and wondered about them. I found them in a JFK 1960 Senate speech. I also saw them in a poem, Something Has To Change, by Attila Gyenis. I think I now see the point, that all inevitable things are not necessarily inevitable. What does the face of that clock say to you? ;-) Jack

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: I do accept the inevitable that God is in charge. I want to accept that reality. Man is not totally unto himself. Always a basis for hope. The question is how we deal with adversity. FROM JACK: We each walk our own path....but goes with us all.

FROM L IN ILLINOIS: What's the old saying about death and taxes? Benjamin Franklin (1706-90), in a letter to Jean-Baptiste Leroy, 1789, "'In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes." FROM JACK: Is anything inevitable until it happens?

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: The clock face gives me that hour in time, whether I want to accept it or not. That moment in my life has been reached and there's no going back. And the hour ahead is inevitable whether I want to accept it or not. People get too concerned about the superficial things which may or may not be inevitable, and what difference does it make? The vital patterns of life are set, and we can be comfortable living our life knowing that "it's taken care of." Previous WW also were wise words, and I think they apply to today's WW: Remember that not getting what you want can be a wonderful stroke of luck. FROM JACK: What it the clock stops before that next minute?

FROM MK IN MICHIGAN: Oh man it’s time to get up and get to work! FROM JACK: Inevitable, but at least it's a job.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: That..."It's 5 o'clock somewhere!" (From a Alan Jackson song.) It was inevitable
ALAN JACKSON: The sun is hot and that ol' clock is movin' slow And so am I
Workday passes like molassas in wintertime But it's July
Gettin' paid by the hour and older by the minute My boss just pushed me over the limit
I'd like to call him somethin' But think I'll just call it a day
Chorus: Pour me somethin' tall and strong Make it a hurricane before I go insane
It's only half past twelve, but I don't care It's five o'clock somewhere

FROM CJL IN OHIO: It says "You read a lot" Keep it up... for us

FROM S.G. IN TAMPA: Stop whining and find something positive to do. FROM JACK: At first, I thought that you were talking to me, instead of commenting on WWs.

FROM PR P.H. IN MINNESOTA: we have but one life; t'will soon be past. only what's done for Christ will last.

FROM L.P. IN MICHIGAN: Thank you for today's WW. REPLY FROM JACK: We are often quick to think about things as being inevitable, and, consequently, not doing anything to change the situation.

No comments: