Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Winning Words 7/15/09
“What was most significant about the lunar voyage was not that men set foot on the moon, but that they set eye on the earth.” (Norman Cousins) I’ll never forget those first pictures of the earth from outer space, 40 years ago. Spectacular! I became acutely aware that we are all passengers on the spaceship, Earth. Some major problems might be resolved if we could all realize that. ;-) Jack

FROM HILLTOPPER JOHN: Human beings are programmed to be contentious. Just look at the history of the church....and the next Bienniel Convention of the ELCA ought to be a doozy!!!

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: Gradually, steadily, spaceship Earth is gaining passengers while the fuel supply is depleting. Maybe improving healthcare to keep people alive isn't such a good idea after all. FROM JACK: I guess it depends on which people you're talking about. I'm glad that my wife and I have health care.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I remember well the awesomely beautiful photos of the earth. Photos of the stars, moon, sun, distance galaxies...all never fail to absolutely amaze me! But to have stepped on the moon to look down on the blue/green earth....I can't imagine what that actually felt like! FROM JACK: Much of what we "know" is based on what others have told us.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: While Earth isn't the Good Ship Lollipop, it treats us pretty well as passengers. We just need to remember that it need regular maintenance.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: I haven’t been able to look back at the earth, which would be super cool. But it reminds me of when I was doing media training how different we look speaking on video than we perceive in our minds. Part of the training was mock interviews while being taped and played back. The difference in perspective is startling and educational. FROM JACK: I never liked seeing myself on tape. My perception was different from reality. "O would some power the gift to give us, to see ourselves as others see us." Robert Burns, from his poem, "To A Louse," stanza 8.






No comments: