Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Winning Words 7/14/09
“The day, night, sun, moon…I do not have to purchase these things with money.” (Plautus) This Roman writer lived around 2500 years ago, and he was looking at the same sun and the same moon, and he was talking about money, too, just like us. Time passes, but some things just stay the same. Incidentally, I read somewhere that in Jewish folklore there’s a story that says the moon is made of green cheese. ;-) Jack

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: Danish folklore says that the moon is a large cheese ball that resulted from the milk that spilled out of the Milky Way. (Alas, so much folklore was swept aside on July 21, 1969 when men personally found what the moon really was. And it took some money to do it. In just a few days we'll celebrate the 40th anniversary of that event.)

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Thanks for the info. I needed to know that!

FROM MOLINER C.F.: How many people have seen the sun and the moon and so few have seen the Earth. FROM JACK: You are anticipating tomorrow's WWs.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Jack, it's been a tough year. First I discover Santa, the Easter Bunny, and Obama are not as portrayed in popular culture and mainstream media. And now you are telling me my green cheese moon is folklore?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I always wondered if it was rotten cheese or just plain green cheese. Was it smelly cheese or bland green cheese, was it soft or hard cheese. When the first guys landed...I was shocked to learn it wasn't smelly, or rotten but it was a solid hard cheese...with a litte dust on top! :-) PS Golfing was good on the green cheese too!

No comments: