Thursday, May 07, 2009

Winning Words 5/7/09
“No matter how wealthy we are, we have only ten fingers on which to display our rings.” (Dalai Lama) I’ve seen people wearing rings on their toes. I’ve seen rings in ears, in eyebrows, in lips, in noses and in other places.. But this quote isn’t about rings; it’s about the limitations of wealth. I only wear one ring, and I am very rich. ;-) Jack

FROM JACK: Sorry that you received WWs late today. It was a server problem. They went out at 5 am.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: What are riches after all?? Some people "blame" people for their wealth, some others for their lack of same. Wealth to me is forgiveness of sin, freedom, love of family and friends, good health, eternal life, and enough. Enough to survive and enough to be comfortable. It is enough!

FROM D.C. IN KANSAS: Missed you today. Hope you are OK. Tomorrow is Harry Truman's 150th birthday. His grandson, Clifton Truman Daniels, was on the radio today and told of a saying he remembered. "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." (That's as I remember him telling it.) His grandson recalled that Harry wanted to punish the Germans after WW I for 50 years, but acted quite differently after WW II.

FROM TEACHER C.A. IN LAS VEGAS: These winning words are ironic to me. Before I even read today's winning words one of my first grade students told me that I must be rich because I was wearing a ring, a bracelet, earrings and a necklace. I explained to her that those "things" are not what make a person rich. I'm not quite sure she understood what I was saying, but someday she will know what it means to have a rich life.

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: Thanks, I bet I know which one it is! FROM JACK: It's not on my toe.

FROM D.S. IN MICHIGAN: Me too.

FROM D.P. IN MINNESOTA: I can't wear any rings because of arthritis, but I am rich, too.

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: I once was fairly wealthy and also very healthy.....but now that both have waned ......I've learned to live again........comfortable and at peace..........except when some damed, stupid politician makes some "jackassed" proposal which threatens either world peace , health care for all, food for all and opportunity for all......and freedom of religion or to be not religious at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually I would always like to know what exactly the person wearing the rings wherever on the body the ring is wants me to know. I know a lot of these rings are talking rings but can't always fathom the language. Personally, my husband and I long ago lost our wedding rings (me, the little diamond fell out and it would have seemed ridiculous to wear a ring without the little diamond in it) but, fortunately or unfortunately no one ever made a pass at me after that so guess I haven't needed to convey anything wearing a wedding ring. Maybe I look too poor and destitute.
S.H. in MI

Anonymous said...

Maybe the above seemed a rather churlish comment. Seems neither me nor my husband feels like we have to convey anything to each other or to others with rings. We didn't start out that way but we've comfortably gotten to that way. Don't pay it no mind most of the time except when the Winning Words are like they are today.
S.H. in MI