Friday, May 22, 2009

Winning Words 5/22/09
“Anything’s possible, if you don’t know what you’re talking about.” (Green’s Law of Debate) I laughed at this one. I guess we all need a laugh now and then. Hilltopper John, who occasionally responds to WWs, is a debater. He generally knows what he’s talking about. H. J. will probably debate the word, generally. ;-) Jack

FROM HILLTOPPER JOHN: This one is brought to the foreground when one listens to the political debates....and, particularly, the forwards that are sent via email during political season. Whole groups of empty heads passing on their ignorance to one another!!!

FROM MOLINER C.F.: T-t-t-t-they wouldn't l-l-let me on t-t-t-the debate team in high school because t-t-t-t-they said I was t-t-t-t-too tall. MORE FROM C.F.: I thought debate was something you put in dehook for fishing

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: This one really made me laugh! I remember in Art Class in high Mr. Deweke said to David, "Nothing is impossible". David replied, "Well, it would be impossible for me to have a baby!" I guess now-a-days maybe even that's possible! Keep smiling... it makes everyone wonder what you have been up to!!!

FROM L.P. IN MICHIGAN: I am currently reading a book about giving inspiring speeches and presentations. I am in the chapter called "The Persuasive Power of Words" that deals with the use of rhetoric. It will be interesting to find a balance between the dull information-over-loaded lecture and hyped detail-light sales pitch. Hopefully I'll know what I'm talking about. JACK'S REPLY: Remember some of the sermons you've heard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard a Pastor once relate that he was giving a sermon and he suddenly started saying things he didn't know he'd say. After he said them, he knew what he was talking about but guess before, he just hadn't thought about talking about those things. Anything is possible all the time I'd say.
S.H. in MI