Monday, April 20, 2009

Winning Words 4/20/09
“Every step I take reminds me that, wherever I am going, I am always on the march to
eternity.” (Dom Helder Camara) Before there was TV, movie theaters would show news film titled, The March of Time. Camara’s words remind us that each step we take is a step in time toward eternity. Carl Sandburg’s poem, Limited, speaks to this. I’ll post it on the blog. It’s a favorite of mine. ;-) Jack


THE LIMITED by Carl Sandburg
I AM riding on a limited express, one of the crack trains
of the nation.
Hurtling across the prairie into blue haze and dark air
go fifteen all-steel coaches holding a thousand people.
(All the coaches shall be scrap and rust and all the men
and women laughing in the diners and sleepers shall
pass to ashes.)
I ask a man in the smoker where he is going and he
answers: "Omaha."

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: "Limited" is up at the top of my list too. Poignant and thought provoking, and short enough to memorize. I'm frequently mindful of it.

FROM D.C. IN KANSAS: Thanks for Camara again! FROM JACK: D.C. is the one who guided me
to this author.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Some people are so focused on Eternity, that I wonder if they
appreciate today. FROM JACK: "Today is the first day of the rest of your life."

No comments: