Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Winning Words 4/14/09
“The most effective way to do it is to do it.” (Amelia Earhart) Amelia was the first woman to fly solo over the Atlantic Ocean. She wanted to be the first woman to fly around the world, but during the flight she mysteriously disappeared over the Pacific Ocean. Many people just talk about doing things. She did them. Who are some of the doers that you know and who excite you? ;-) Jack

FROM MOLINER C.F.:
I think she flew off the edge. Anybody with any sense knows the world is flat. Remember Wrong Way Corrigan? Even he knew . Look at those pictures from space. Can't you tell it's just a flat disk floating around?

FROM S.G. IN TAMPA: In addition to all of the saints, I would say all of the women who went West in the covered wagons. FROM JACK: They were hardy women, weren't they...and slso the women of the Great Depression.

FROM J.N. IN MI: The best "doers" I know personally are Norm and Pat Kinnison, members of Good Samaritan Lutheran Church. With pastoral encouragement about ten years ago, Norm Kinnison established a Food Pantry at what was then Mount Hope Lutheran Church. It is running strong and successfully with over a dozen dedicated volunteers, congregational support, and donations of items and time from others. Almost as long ago, Pat Kinnison founded an outreach called Special Class for Special Adults (SCSA). Residents of area
adult group homes for adults with various disabilities are invited to attend bi-weekly gatherings on Saturday afternoons. Their class includes non-denominational Christian devotions, work with hand chimes, refreshments, and always-important fellowship. Norm and Pat's leadership of these two outstanding outreach activities has never faltered despite their own health and family concerns. They are modest about their accomplishments and always turn praise to God for blessing them with these opportunities.

FROM J.K. IN CALIFORNIA: I wanted to respond to this winning word. I think I did DO IT! I've been wanting to start singing more lately and my music director at church entered me in a BIG Christian singing competition. I was the only talent he sent from our church, which is second in size after Rick Warren's Saddleback church, in Orange Co. Anyway, I sang on Tuesday and it went really well. I had to go up to LA and stand in line for 5 hours. I sang acappella in front of 4 judges. It's the exact same format as American
Idol but it's CHRISTIAN. I find out in 2 weeks if I advanced or not and if I did I go to Nashville for a week of TV production and recording. It will air weekly just like Idol, and 1 singer is bumped off each time. The judges did like me, however, they audition in 9 cities with a total of 1,000 singers! They hit Detroit neext week! But it was a fun experience and I'll let you know the outcome!!!

No comments: