Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Winning Words 3/3/09
“Being an optimist after you’ve got everything you want, doesn’t count.”
Ken Hubbard) I’m off to attend my weekly Optimist Club meeting today. Hubbard’s quote causes me to wonder if I should really belong to that club. I’d probably have to give up church, too, if it meant being totally consistent in my beliefs. I guess that life, for all of us, is a combination of consistency and inconsistency. I’m still going to look on the sunny side of everything. How about you? ;-) Jack

FROM S.G. IN TAMPA: Absolutely, yes.

FROM M.L. IN IL: it's the sidewalk i choose!

FROM C.S. IN MI: I still have the Optimist Creed "plaque" you gave me sitting on my computer desk!!!

FROM N.L. IN FLORIDA: TRUE

FROM A.M. IN MI: Absolutely. I am generally optimistic. I am more frequently torn by my anger at some situations with individuals and my trying to do the right thing, set an example. One of my son's is dealing with a personal problem. I felt great pride when he said he was not going to handle the situation with hardness in his heart.

FROM MOLINER G.S.: Remember that WJR radio program, Sunny Side Of The Street? Used to listen to it when we lived in northern Ohio.

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: If one holds to Christ, and for the rest, be totally uncommitted......there's the real ground of and for optimism, right?

FROM EMT SINGS IN MI: definitely!

FROM MOLINER C.F.: "Grab your coat and get your hat........." FROM JACK: You left out the most important part...."leave your worries on the doorstep (God's doorstep)."

FROM P.H. IN AZ GOING TO MN: its easy see the sunny side of everything when you are in sunny AZ for a month. 87 here yesterday. but, alas, we fly home this afternoon to the snow and cold. but that is okay too. i like all the seasons of the year. hope you are well today, my friend.

FROM J.C. IN HONG KONG: Let me take you by the handAnd lead you through the streets of LondonI will show you something to make you change your mind. Have you seen the old man in a closed down market,Kicking up the papers with his worn out shoes?In his eyes you'll see no pride and, held loosely by his sideAre yesterday's papers, telling yesterday's news. And how can ya' tell me that you're lonelyOr say that for you the sun won't shine?Let me take you by the handAnd lead you through the streets of LondonI will show you something to make you change your mind. And have you seen that old girl who walks the streets of LondonWith the dirt in her hair and her clothes in rags?She's no time for talking; she just keeps right on a-walkin',Carryin' her home in two carrier bags. And how can ya' tell me that you're lonelyOr say that for you the sun won't shine?Let me take you by the handAnd lead you through the streets of LondonI will show you something to make you change your mind. In that all-night cafe at a quarter past elevenThe same old man sitting there on his ownLooking at the world over the rim of his tea cupEach tea lasts an hour then he wanders home alone. And how can ya' tell me that you're lonelyOr say that for you the sun won't shine?Let me take you by the handAnd lead you through the streets of LondonI will show you something to make you change your mind. And have you seen that old man outside the seaman's missionHis memory fading like the ribbons that he wears?Yes, and in this winter city, the rain cries a little pityFor one more forgotten hero in a world that doesn't care. And how can ya' tell me that you're lonelyOr say that for you the sun won't shine?Let me take you by the handAnd lead you through the streets of LondonI will show you something to make you change your mind.
Ralph McTell [b.1944] in Famborough, Kent, UK. First recorded on McTell's album Spiral Staircase, 1969
This variant arranged and recorded by Ryan's Fancy (Looking Back, ©1972, Audat Records).

FROM JACK: Try this link for the above set to music. http://www.wtv-zone.com/phyrst/audio/nfld/11/london.htm

FROM CJL IN OHIO: I'm a Kiwanian. Our motto is "We Build". I guess that's OK. At least I've been one for 50yrs and haven't found anything that would make me give it up. Maybe being the present president has something to do with that.....

FROM P.O. IN THE HOLY LAND: Guilty of being the original 'cock-eyed optimist'.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Yep....I look on the sunnyside but that doesn't mean there isn't a dark side too....I just don't go there often.

FROM D.P. IN WI: i'm with you. it's always warmer on the sunny side of the street...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Pastor Freed!! You've just given me a very sunny start to the day. You mean I don't have to be totally consistent in my beliefs to feel good in going to church? Can a person even be on the Church Council being inconsistent in their beliefs? Who would have thunk? I'll have to think on this one quite a bit today. Actually, for some while I've been comfortable in the pew realizing a whole of variety of people of different believing ways are all sharing the pews with me and all looking forward to more unity and purpose and understanding, etc., etc., etc. Do you have some pessimists in your Optimist Club?
Peace,
S.H. in MI