Friday, March 20, 2009

Winning Words 3/20/09
“Leadership involves finding a parade and getting in front of it.”
(John Naisbitt) Many major corporations call on Naisbitt for advice on restructuring. If there’s a desire on your part for a different life direction, perhaps it involves stepping out of your comfort zone. Don’t let short term disruptions get you down. There are many types of parades that are calling for new leadership. On another note, parades also need someone to sit on the curb and clap as they go by. We each have our role. ;-) Jack


FROM PR J.S. IN MI: Sometimes a parade needs someone to sit on the side and not clap but to say "the Emperor has no clothes"...there are many roles out there

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: I think leadership means more starting a parade for a noble cause.

FROM B.G. IN MI: …as long as you have discerned that the parade is not headed over a cliff. If it is, then, leadership involves re-directing the parade and, if necessary, finding a different road for the parade to travel.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I disagree on this one! True leadership is finding a group of people desiring a parade, getting them costumes, organizing the bands, finding a route and then leading the parade....that's the problem now-a-days...too many are jumping in front without the proper procedures in place. MORE: I believe true leadership is teaching, planning and organizing the people in the direction the parade should go.

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: I'm not very supportive of Naisbitt on this one. His statement seems to be more about jumping on the bandwagon...the front of the bandwagon. I think leadership is getting involved when others aren't giving an important issue or situation the attention it deserves. FROM JACK: The point, as I see it, is directed to someone who is looking for a new challenge in life. As Yogi once said, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." FROM R.I.: I see your point. Sometimes one's better vision leads to better things because that person was willing to take the ball and run with it.It's interesting that today's quote brought mainly skeptical responses to Naisbitt's point of view.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MI: I'm a clapper!

FROM CWR IN B.MORE: .......no, no. Leadership means forming a parade to ignite interest in a progressive movement. FROM JACK: It would be better if you elimated the ....no, no.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: I've got mixed emotions on this one. Why is Santa always at the end of the parade? Yet the Grand Marshall is at the beginning. I guess I should start my own parade and position myself where I want. FROM JACK: That's a good thought...but I think that most of the responses have missed what I was trying to get at....Many of us need to restructure our lives, and, in so doing, need to find a cause (parade).

FROM M.F. IN MI: I'm ready to step into my new role, thanks for all the winning words.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: You and John N. Are confused. You are describing politics...

No comments: