Thursday, February 05, 2009

Winning Words 2/5/09
“An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.”
(Jeff Mallett) I like the comic strip, Frazz. This quote appeared in it sometime ago. Our opinions are formed from many sources, TV News, NPR, and the internet. The comics can be a source, too. You’ve probably heard it said that “The mind is a terrible thing to waste.” WWs is meant to stimulate thought in order for you to form an opinion. ;-) Jack

FROM M.T. IN PA: It works for me! Good one today,

FROM P.O. IN THE HOLY LAND: Oh, I so like this one. Greetings from Yanoun.....finally! I had to remain in Jerusalem for a bit to take care of my medical problems but have finally joined my team. I will try to put another entry on the blog today.

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: ww has been a daily excercise in personal philosophy. thanks for the stimulation! FROM JACK: Yoga for the mind. FROM M.L.: namaste. FROM JACK: I bow to you, too.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Here is my opinion as a result of watching the Katie Couric news: "Asking congress to fix the economy is like asking the rapist to counsel the victim." FROM JACK: I imagine that your opinion is the result of thought. That's what Frazz wanted. REPLY FROM JON: I’ve noticed any opinion contrary to a statist is assumed to have not been thought out. I started to add “thoughtful” to my reply and decided to see if you would bite; and you did. Is it possible FDR and all of the intervention greatly prolonged the depression? Of course that is too painful a thought for most statists to wrestle with so they use the media, education, and intuitions in Orwellian fashion to promote that which keeps them in power. 51 percent of voters presently don’t pay taxes—a victory for statists if you care to follow through on some uncomfortable thoughts.
Have a good day. It’s cold cold here. FROM JACK: My, you're sensitive today. I thought that my response was benign.
You have nothing to fear, but. REPLY FROM JON: Gee I am sorry I misread your original email.
Excuse the rants.

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: Today's WW is a good quote, and it seems related to some other words I've read..."there's a difference between talking and saying something."

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Yes, and the waist is a terrible thing to mind. MORE: Remember David Brinkley's book "Evrerybody is entitled to my opinion"?

FROM MOLINER T.L.: I always liked the old saw, "Impossible is an opinion, not a fact".

No comments: