Thursday, February 26, 2009

Winning Words 2/26/09
“Always look at what you have left. Never look at what you have lost.”
(Robert Schuller) I generally agree with the thought of this quote. However, I get a bit nervous when I see the words, “always” and “never,” because I want some wiggle-room. I agree that there’s a need for some qualifiers. Maybe you can give some suggestions. R.S.’s basic point is that we need to look ahead, rather that look back. I like that. ;-) Jack


FROM L.K. IN OH: I agree with you........did Jesus offer much "wiggle room" on things? Yes, we can wiggle toward kindness, right? REPLY FROM JACK: He can put himself in my shoes, but I can't put myself in his shoes.

FROM M.L. IN IL: how about..."look at what you have left when you're looking at what you have lost". life is a balance. welcome to the daily life of a libra!

FROM CJL IN OH: I guess he is "always" looking at the bright side. I don't trust that either. Remember that those who forget their past are bound to relive it. Nevertheless,. looking forward is the direction to look!

FROM MOLINER C.F.: If you are on the right track, the only way you can look is forward. Don't know that I've ever seen a train engineer look back. And he alwys seems to get where he's going. Don't get nervous, Jack. Sometimes "always" is the right word.

FROM M.N. IN MN: I do agree that we have to look forward, but I can't do it without remembering what (or in my case "who") I have lost. Sometimes I suppose I remember too much--like last night. Our final hymn was Abide With Me and I couldn't sing it. I had to bite my lip. I finally did put my head up and sing the last stanza anyhow with the tears rolling down my cheeks. And I thought I was doing so well!

FROM S.G. IN TAMPA: As a former history teacher, we certainly should learn from the past but remain optimistic about what is to come. The best is yet to come. MORE FROM S.G.: Carpe diem.

FROM M.E. IN NEWPORT BEACH: Focus on what you have left. Learn but do not drown in what you have lost. MCE. My first was to say Learn but do not weep from what you have lost, but that too, is not necessarily healthy or realistic. Today I will copy your e-mail to some friends from Wisconsin who are visiting and with whom we have remained close since 1963.


FROM D.S. IN SAN DIEGO: That's an interesting one, Jack, in view of how most of our financial conditions have become, like our 101K.Perhaps just the addition/change of a word or two would be that qualifier...... "Always consider what you have left. Never consider what you have lost". But then, it is not as dramatic, is it? Also very hard for most of us to do.

FROM SNOWBIRD F.M. IN AL: I have just finished reading " The Shack", by William Young. There are some interesting comments in it about the past, the future and the present - with an emphasis on not dwelling too much on the past or the future. Very interesting reading.

FROM A FRIEND IN IL: The Episcopal priest who married my wife and me advised us, during our pre-marital meetings, that we should never use the word "always" in our disagreements. We never forgot it and made it work. So your WW today has special meaning for me.

FROM J.T. IN MI: I agree with you. If you never look back think of the memories you will have missed. Is it worth that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Somehow, as my faith has matured, I've learned how to look at what I have lost in a more constructive way and the person I am, looking at what I have left, is the much better for having gone through this transformative process.
So far, this has been happening but never know if this will actually pan out the rest of today or tomorrow. However, one does it--bitterness is the thing to be avoided, seems to me.
S.H. in MI