Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Winning Words 2/17/09
“People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
(Bonnie Jean Wasmund) This quote seems to relate to the one for yesterday. Your thoughtful responses made me feel that the chosen quote was a good one. I like Wasmund’s thought, but I also think that people remember what you said and what you did. I know of a man who went to a neighbor lady and said, “I’m so sorry that your husband died. Is there anything I can do?” “Yes,” she replied, “you can spade my garden.” I’m sure she never forgot what he said and did. ;-) Jack


FROM J.R. IN CALIF: I would be in full agreement with Wasmund's quote had she replaced "will" with "might". I can't tell you how much I look forward to your daily "e's". FROM JACK: You make a good point, but I think she wanted to stress the importance of empathy. Your response made me feel good.

FROM E.A. IN MAZATLAN: How true. Not to mske you feel basdly, but Bev and I are enjoying 80 degree weather in Mazatlan. I should see you on Tuesday next. Be well and stay well.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: To some degree, I agree. But I believe words sometimes speak volumes. Especially the kind ones. Good WW today...they always make me think! FROM JACK: "He who has ears to hear, let him hear." But some seem to have a switch that cuts off the hearing. FROM JUDY: action speaks louder than words...

FROM SNOWBIRD F.M.: Another old response, "I can't hear what you are saying because of what you are doing." FROM JACK: It may be old to you, but it's new to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jack- I thought you'd appreciate this. Very timely.

There’s been a media and Internet buzz about February 14, 2009 having special significance – you may remember, from the seminal rock musical “Hair,” the anthemic strains of the song “Aquarius” –

“When the moon is in the seventh house
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars
This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius ...”

Well, those astronomical configurations literally occurred this past Saturday – the moon was actually in the seventh house and Jupiter actually did align with Mars. Now, I’m not really sure what was supposed to happen, and I’m unclear that anything did, but it certainly gives us something to think about. If there is somehow a temporal demarcation point that indicates the onset of a period of peace and love, let me get out my pen because I’m signing for that.

I don’t mean to be disrespectful – I know nothing at all about astrology, and I have discovered too often throughout my life that scoffing at things I don’t understand makes me look foolish when some elements of truth surface within my misconceptions. My comment is an innocent but hopeful one – what if people actually began to respond as if there has been a shift, and decided to show up with

“Harmony and understanding, sympathy and trust abounding, No more falsehoods or derisions, golden living dreams of visions, Mystic crystal revelations, and the mind’s true iberation…”

as lyricists Rado and Ragni forecasted. Am I naïve to think that if many, many people turned their expectations toward these outcomes, that it might help us heal what’s happening in the world? If we began to look at each other as brothers and sisters, and operated from the worldview that peaceful coexistence is not just possible but the only thing tolerable, if we applied the Earth's incredible abundance to serve the greater good, is all that so far-fetched? Or are these just the idealistic ravings of an aging hippie reminded of his longhair youth by the hook of a popular song?

I don’t know what impact the movement of celestial spheres has on us, but the sheer physics of it, the forces of gravity affecting the tides of our 90%-water bodies, suggests that there could be an impact, maybe a profound one. But if people interpret the opportunity as a springboard to transcendence and higher consciousness, then whether the stars and planets caused them to shift or the shift happened in response to their perception of the positioning of the heavenly orbs, the outcome is the same.

Let’s learn from the optimism and happiness expressed in this song, whether it’s fantasy or prophecy. In times of adversity, we still have a choice on what to point ourselves toward, and it is unmistakable that living with passion and vitality makes the best of any circumstances. Live your life, don’t let it live you – maybe this is the dawning of a new era of positive reality and love. Let the sun shine in!

Eric Mintz

Anonymous said...

I'm all for pointing myself towards peace and love and being with everyone else. Enjoyed reading here, enjoyed the music.
S.H. in MI

Anonymous said...

I am a firm believer in this mantra: we have no right to be reckless with others feelings. People may forgive bad behavior and hurt feelings, but they NEVER forget. Some people think they can be "honest" saying whatever they like, hurting others with their tongues only to apologize and make it all better. If we really care about others we will take extra care to not say the things we know deep down we should not. I have peace knowing that I always treated my deceased motehr with respect. I cannot say the same for my siblings.
~TK~ from WB