Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Winning Words 1/27/09
“Life is like playing the banjo—just stick with it.”
(Steve Martin) A lot of jokes are made about banjo playing. Maybe that’s why Steve Martin put it into his comedy skits. I read about a lady who played the banjo with a violin bow and made it sound like a church organ. Sometimes life looks strange and wierd, like a banjo. But, depending on how you play it, beautiful music can be heard. Stick with it. ;-) Jack


FROM GUSTIE MARLYS: I liked that story. And no, I have never played a banjo.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Most of the criticism of Banjo’s seems to be directed at the backwoods perception of Banjo players. The truth is, it takes great skill to play a Banjo at all. The strings from high to low are reverse of a guitar. So merely knowing how to play a guitar doesn't get you there. "Banjo" may bring to mind the scene in the movie Deliverance, but without exception every banjo player I have met have been exceptionally intelligent. I hired a banjo player recently to simulate “caffeination” or a “caffeinated feel” in a song about coffee. It’s a great instrument; that takes great skill to play. Though you will find a mediocre banjo player is roughly as annoying as a mediocre bagpipe player.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: I have an antuque French Horn hanging on the wall in front of my computer. Can't play it, but it gives me pleasure...By just imagining who played it, where they played it and what they played. Don't know if there's a lesson in that but it is something to think about. Anybody blow your horn lately?

FROM C.N. IN BOSTON: i usually read your winning words early in the morning, but fittingly so, i just read todays. see this morning i was working on some writting for a fellowship submission. amongst a couple of other bumps today when i returned to the piece this afternoon the file was corrupt. i couldnt figure out if it was a sign to throw in the towel, or stick with it. i think there is now a pretty clear sign to stick with it. best

FROM JACK: Steve Martin is releasing The Crow, a new CD of banjo music, on April 26. I'm getting it.
February 02, 2009 Jokes and Films Are Fun, but He Loves His Banjo By DAVE ITZKOFF Steve Martin, who has gone from manic, rabbit-eared stand-up comedian to introspective memoirist, has a bluegrass album.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Steve Martin. Especially that movie he was in where he was the son in an African-American family and trying to get rhythm. Everytime we're busy clapping in church, every once in a while I wonder if anyone around me is noticing that sometimes I'm "off the beat". But I just keep on sticking with it because learning how to clap is better than not learning. Steve Martin is great!!!
S.H. in MI