Friday, January 23, 2009

Winning Words 1/23/09
“A boil on one’s neck is of more interest than forty earthquakes in Africa.”
(Dale Carnegie) Self-interest is behind the actions of most of us, regardless of our desire to be benevolent people. I wonder if it was the same for Mother Teresa or Albert Schweitzer. It’s really difficult to be truly caring for all who need care. But we try, and that’s what’s important. I remember having a carbuncle, once. ;-) Jack


FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Unfortunately, this is a true statement. We are more wrapped up with ourselves than others....I think it's called "self-preservation" to some. A side note....I just finished a book on 1800's midwives. One of the things the midwife dealt with was a carbuncle! What a strange word to "bump" into twice in one month!!!

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: I had a large boil on my right arm when I was about ten years old and it was of great interest to me, especially when my Dad said, "Hold out your arm." He took his huge hands and crashed them together on my arm and the core of the boil shot out and up to the ceiling and there was blood all over. That was our form of health care in those days. I think we have made some big advances over the years!!!

FROM D.C. IN MI: Considering a carbuncle, my dad had one in about 1940, and it was determined he had high blood sugar. I'm sure now it would be called Type 2 Diabetes, (which is what I have.) He was 47 years old in 1940. He cut out cream and sugar in his coffee, and went pretty light on the donuts from then on. He never took anything for it

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: Yeah, I remember my uncle ate too much spaghetti too.

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: I thiink it's true that though our "better selves" are 'other directed', we are, infact, 'inner directed' in that how we extend ourselves must be compatible with how satisfied we are with ourselves. "To thine ownself be true and then it follows as night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man"..........or something like that.

FROM PR P.H. IN MN: hope it wasn't on your backside!! MORE: i have never had a boil and i don't want one. i did used to get stys on my eyes as a kid but haven't had one in years, thankfully.... now, should we discuss hemroids or not???

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: My Pa used to make a bread poultice to apply to bring it to a head, then after puncturing it at the appropriate moment, position a hot coke bottle over the head, and wrap the bottle in a ice cold cloth. The core of bacterial were a sight to see. Staphylcoccus Aureus I believe. today if you are unlucky you can acquire MRSA, or Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureus. rotten stuff. This is why you should insist that your beef, pork, lamb, chicken are antibiotic free. Meaning the farmer didn't add any antibiotics to the animals feed. so their animals would grow fast and put some meat on it's bones ( go to market )

FROM JACK: I was somewhat surprised about the lack of comment on the 40 African earthquakes; and yet, the quote said that a boil would get more attention.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My comment is on the "we try and that is what is important" part. A former Pastor in our congregation used to say "They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions, but I'll take a person with good intentions any time." This WW blog was really fascinating, especially ending with your observation at the end of the day, Pastor Freed. Kind of like a little experiment.
S.H. in MI