Monday, January 19, 2009

Winning Words 1/19/09
“An individual has not started living until she can rise above the narrow confines of her individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.”
(MLK Jr) One person can make a difference, sometimes by a simple act of kindness. It was cold last Saturday, and I was wearing a light jacket. A woman came up to me and said, “It’s cold, and you should be wearing a scarf.” With that, she took a nice, blue, wool scarf from her neck and wrapped it around mine. “Don’t worry,” she said, “I’ve got another at home.” MLK Jr was saying that a single person can influence humanity. He did, and she did, and I am grateful. Now, I’m looking for a way to share a kindness. ;-) Jack


FROM MOLINER G.S.: you do it with Winning Words.

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: Life is filled with so many opportunities, challenges, thrills, and enlightenment; so many fresh paths for learning, contributing and expanding of ourselves, and perhaps inspiring others too. I've experienced how exploring diversity can deepen our understanding and lead to good will and good living.

FROM E.A. IN MI:
A cynic might believe that what she was really thinking was: " Look at that old man running around with that light jacket one---he probably doesn't have anything better" (I can say this to you because I am old as well and also I sometimes run around in the winter with the wrong clothes on.) Be well and stay well. In essence, I would much rather believe in what MLK said. What a wonderful day it will be tomorrow.


FROM M.L. IN IL: you mean besides the daily one you share? MORE: being wrapped in spiritual blankets is a coziness of a different color! FROM JACK: A blanket for a needy person would be an act of kindness, especially if it were your own blanket.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: You don't have to look far. There's need all around us. And it's going to take more than one act of kindness. I think we had better get busy.

FROM S.T. AT TAPPER'S JEWELRY: Thank you for sending this. When I received this today and I was pleased because it is the same quote I had selected for display next to the candle we lit at Tapper’s West Bloomfield this morning in memory of Dr. King.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Isn't it so much easier to be kinder to strangers? The real test is to be kind to those whom we see each day...the ones who make us crazy! We know them so well and they are so easily the "targets" of our wrath. Today, I will be kinder and nicer...both to strangers and to loved ones.

FROM SNOWBIRD PR F.M.: If you are able please listen to CNN at 12 Noon, they are offering the whole sermon by MLK Jr.

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: ........good one

FROM MOLINER LIZ: She? FROM JACK: You noticed! MORE FROM LIZ: I agree with G.S.-- you spread kindness with your winning words. And I'm sure it doesn't stop there. I remember a teacher once told us that to do something generous and not tell anyone about it is the true test of a giving person. FROM JACK: Like evryone else, I have to work at it.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS: We have a newspaper called "The Metro Lutheran" that comes out once a month. This month there is a whole page article about the time Dr. Martin Luther King came to Gloria Dei. Elizabeth (Johnson) Eckholm had told them the story. It is very good, and if I had a scanner, I would send it.

FROM CJL IN OH: I don't think you'll have to look very far. The problem will be how do you choose.
But choose you will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen.