Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Winning Words 1/14/09
“Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.”
(Dalai Lama) Last year I went to Ann Arbor to see and hear the Dalai Lama. His name means, literally, Teacher of Deep Things. He is the spiritual and political leader of Tibet, now living in exile. The Dalai Lama is an advocate for peace. Kindness is one way to bring about peace. It may not always work, but the alternative doesn’t seem to work, either. What has been your experience based on trying to show kindness in the face of animosity? ;-) Jack


FROM B.G. IN MI: Thanks for your kindness to me over the years.

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: The most lopsided debate I ever witnessed occurred when someone tried to defend unilateral disarmament as a means to peace. The negative destroyed that position. The key is original sin as Reinhold Niebuhr understood. Sometimes kindness and weakness is a great way to bring on war and adversity. Strength combined with understanding seems to work a lot better on the international front. Strength and aggressiveness, of course, is a great way to bring on war.

FROM M.L. IN IL: kindness often times confuses the aggressor. it is most always disarming. i choose kindness. JACK'S REPLY: I'd faint if you answered otherwise.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: I have a poster in my computer room that says - The cold heart of adversity can be melted by the warm touch oif kindness.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: It's very foolish to believe everyone will react with kindness. A few of our best presidents tried many times to do the evasive and it still led to wars. We as Christians are called to defend the defenseless which sometimes means kindness won't work. I know this will not be a popular answer, but you can't paint over the truth. Sometimes smiles aren't enough.

FROM C.B. IN MI: In my life I find satisfaction and peace in trying always to take the high road, treat everyone with respect, and reserve judgment. It creates so many opportunities (choices) for peace.

FROM LBP IN MI: In honor of our congregations 150th anniversary our pastor has challenged us to each do 150 acts of kindness this year. I think I'll pass this WW along. Several of the recent sermons have been challenging us to think about what it means to be kind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have don't have any specific story of what happened when I showed kindness in the face of animosity, maybe because a lot of people might have been impacting on the specific people and the whole story was too big to see but my memory is of having great animosity towards the Church and a former Pastor showing great kindness and patience with me and it turned my whole attitude and behaviors and person and life around and the Holy Spirit brought peace among us. Couldn't have been done without his willingness to practice restraint, turn the other cheek, give up his coat, etc., etc., etc. I've done a lot of reflecting/thinking about this and think it has something to do with sacrificial kindness and wonder if it is the same or different than the kindness the Dalai Lama is thinking about.
S.H. in MI