Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Jack’s Winning Words 1/6/09
“The family unit plays a critical role in our society and in the training of the generation to come."
(Sandra Day O’Connor) I’m in the process of reading a Christmas present, Tim Russert’s book, Big Russ & Me. The book says to me that it’s more than genes that we pass on to others in this life. I’m reminded of Proverbs 22:6: “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.” Today, try to recall a lesson you learned in your family upbringing. ;-) Jack

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: We were taught, love of God, love of family, love of country and fellowman, tell the truth, be kind and "Self-righteousness stinks" (my mom's personal favorite).

FROM M.E. IN S. CA: 2 lessons from my Father: It is no lose to be a gentleman; and When you walk into a crowded room and don't know anyone, always follow a smile. My children have heard them both and I know have benefited from the lessons.

FROM D.S. IN SAN DIEGO: Interesting that you should ask that particular question. Today at Bible Study our opening "question" to each, before we start our study, was "who influenced you in earlier life".I think the best lesson I learned, and it was from my mother, was "to do or treat others the way I would wish them to do to me". May seem corny to some, but I have tried to live by that ideal. At times it doesn't come to me "during the heat of a situation", but when I have time to think, I often change my way of dealing with a situation bearing that thought in mind.

FROM S.G. IN TAMPA: I loved the book. Not to be too philosophical, I think we learned to be good, to develop our talents, and to help others as well as ourselves. I loved the democracy of living in Moline where we had the superitendent of schools living a few houses from the janitor of the high school and three doctors and a judge living on the same street as factory workers and a butcher.

FROM M.L. IN IL: this is so true. we tried to have family dinner every night while the kids were growing up. due to their crazy sport, band, and social schedules, this was not always easy. dinners were sometimes much later than my stomach growls intended, but it turned out to be one of the most gratifying sacrifices of my life. no t.v. trays, no t.v., just family and good food at the dining room table. lots of good lessons came from the conversations that we shared. both parents and children were educated!

FROM YOOPER N.K.: WHEN OUR GRAND-DAUGHTER GDADUATED FROM CREIGHTON UNIV. IN OMAHA 3 YEARS AGO AND SHE ALSO HAD A C.P.A. JUST IN CASE SHE NEEDED TO PAY OFF HER BILLS.
AS YOU KNOW TIM RUSSERT IS A GRADUATE OF A JESUIT SCHOOL ( and kal did too AT SEATTLE
UNIVERSITY) THEN WHRN SHE WENT TO LAW SCHOOL.....SHE GOT SUPER SCHOLARSHIP AT THE GEORGETOWN LAW SCHOOL WHICH IS ONLY A BLOCK AWAY FROM THE SUPREME COURT. THIS SCHOOL IS JESUIT ALSO !!!! BRITT IS JUST 2 BLOCKS AWAY FROM A SUPER E.L.C.A. CHURCH.
CALLED HER HOME CHURCH....TO SEND HER MEMBERSHIP.

No comments: