Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 12/17/08
“Define the universe, and give three examples.”
(Unsigned Graffiti) A professor once told our class that it’s impossible to unscrew the inscrutable. He was talking about God. Inscrutable is one example of a definition for the universe. It’s a good descriptive word for some people, also. Try to use the word, “inscrutable” in a conversation today and note the reaction. ;-) Jack


FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Slow death is inscrutable. I am at the emergency room with a friend of 26 years. 7 kids (age 11 to 30) and a sometimes understanding wife. This is his third major event, two strokes, triple bypass and oh yeah diabetes. They are probably going to take him off the respirator in a little while. Larry was a brilliant real estate attorney--that's how I met him. I think he died (inside) 7 years ago. (Stroke no. 1) He never got to drive his sports car again. I rode his motorcycle to my house and stored it in my garage until he decided he was never going to ride again (I was afraid to really ride it like Larry did). We talked often and I would drag him out for coffee or a sandwich now and then. My wife and I had date night with the "Lockhorns" once a month until mid-2008 my wife was in law school and schedules were hard to sync during bar exam prep. Yes, she is now an attorney. Over the past seven years only in rare instances would I ever get a glimpse of the real Larry I knew. Hang on...something in my eye. Larry dealt with more pain than most could bear. I am a big sissy I could not have maintained such dignity. I guess this a bit of a pre-eulogy (which sucks he is only 59). While he was at OSU Hospital a few months ago I wrote and sang a song for him hoping to make him laugh. It did, with the half-way laugh a stroke victim can muster--until the chorus then he began to cry. The song blends three of his favorite things, Family, OSU football and Ireland. Most of it is pretty funny but the chorus was a little too poignant, perhaps. I'll send you a copy later I can't do it from this Blackberry. It's called Erin Go Bragh and OSU. Perhaps you can ask the Winning Words folks to pray for Roger L. (Larry) Connor, Jr and his family. I don't even know what to pray for anymore except God's will be done. We have Baptists praying for him; a few Lutherans added in may really help. They just told me they are moving him to ICU, so this may continue... As I said, slow death is inscrutable.

FROM M.S. IN MI: Not defining the universe, but...I received a beautiful Christmas card showing an angel with its face turned away (copy of a painting in the Smithsonian). I've been trying to think of words to describe it---inscrutable is a good one.

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: To me it is impossible to think of a Universe that is created....that was not always here. It is equally impossible to think of a Universe that has always been here. Perhaps I am the problem rather than the Universe!!!

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Inscrutable is the opposite of outscrutable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Debt Jon and Pastor Freed, I am praying for Larry and his family. And this morning in Bible study, I will also tell them of Larry's slow death that is inscrutable and the dignity amidst the suffering, he has displayed over the past 7 years and we will all be praying, led by Pastor Maddox. God hears us and reaches down to lift His people up and that is a sureness. It's hard sometimes.
Sharon