Monday, December 01, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 12/1/08
“It’s a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted.”
(Bertrand Russell) If anyone ever hung question marks on things, it was Russell. He was a brilliant philosopher and longed for eternal truths. I guess we all would like ultimate answers. Someone once said to me, “When I get to heaven, I’ve got a lot of questions to ask God.” He/She won’t mind. ;-) Jack


FROM P.O. IN MI: A hearty "Amen!"

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: When I get to heaven, God will have a lot more questions to ask ME.

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: I read an anecdote about Russell in a Philosophy book that I think might be reliable. It said that he was walking along the campus at Oxford in deep thought and suddenly stopped and said, "Anselm was right." When asked later about it, he said that he was thinking about Anelm's Ontological Proof of God. Amazing story. JACK'S QUESTION: What is that proof? J.S.'s RESPONSE: The thought of God must come from somewhere....cause and effect. The cause must always be great enough to cause the effect. No thing that we know is great enough to cause the thought "God"....therefore, it must be God who is causing that thought....ergo, God exists. Anselm would probably throw up if he saw my summary because he wrote the same thing in about 20,000 words. However, in my simplistic style, that is the Ontological Proof of God.

FROM J.S. IN MI: He/She??? I LOVE it!

No comments: