Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 11/4/08
“There’s always one moment in life when the door opens and lets the future in.”
(Graham Greene) That moment, for me, was on a Sunday night in 1946. Has there been a moment that has changed your future? There are Democrats and Republicans who look upon this election as such a moment. And life goes on! ;-) Jack


FROM MOLINER LIZ: Do you think it's too late for the door to open? I'm still waiting.

FROM MOLINER G.S.: What exactly happened on that Sunday night in 1946?

POEM BY ROBERT FROST: Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,And sorry I could not travel bothAnd be one traveler, long I stoodAnd looked down one as far as I couldTo where it bent in the undergrowth;Then took the other, as just as fair,And having perhaps the better claim,Because it was grassy and wanted wear;Though as for that the passing thereHad worn them really about the same,And both that morning equally layIn leaves no step had trodden black.Oh, I kept the first for another day!Yet knowing how way leads on to way,I doubted if I should ever come back.I shall be telling this with a sighSomewhere ages and ages hence:Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-I took the one less traveled by,And that has made all the difference.
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,And sorry I could not travel bothAnd be one traveler, long I stoodAnd looked down one as far as I couldTo where it bent in the undergrowth;Then took the other, as just as fair,And having perhaps the better claim,Because it was grassy and wanted wear;Though as for that the passing thereHad worn them really about the same,And both that morning equally layIn leaves no step had trodden black.Oh, I kept the first for another day!Yet knowing how way leads on to way,I doubted if I should ever come back.I shall be telling this with a sighSomewhere ages and ages hence:Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-I took the one less traveled by,And that has made all the difference.

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: I think that there are events that leave the past behind and demand something new. We have to take advantage of those events. Such an event was WW I. Unfortunately, our leadership didn't take advantage of that confusion and it led to the depression and WW II. The collapse of our economy in the 70s....the virtual collapse of our moral structure and of our morale along with it....opened up an opportunity for us to reshape this country and we did. Now a very unfortunate Presidency has virtually wrecked us again. In the 70s it was the Left that did us in. This time it is the Right. I hope that we can take advantage of this confusion and reshape some things and point forward to the future. I hope....and I emphasize HOPE....that Obama is the person to do this. Most assuredly, McCain is not. So that only leaves one avenue open for us. I hope that Obama is elected and chooses to reshape us in a new way that will last for another 30 years or so. We'll see. Much , of course, is up to us. Not just to vote but to reshape things. Out with the 70s and now out with the 00s. In with the new!!!

FROM B.G. IN MI: Yes, it does…I voted early this morning; arrived at 6:45 a.m. and was the 50th person to cast a ballot in our precinct. I am, as you know, more invested in this election than any previous one. Whatever the outcome, God’s kingdom will come on earth…as it is in heaven. However, since heaven can wait, I hope for a particular outcome in this earthly election. Whatever the case, Jesus is Lord.

FROM M.L. IN IL: i have had a few moments like this. let's hope today's opening into the future will be like dorothy's opening the door to munchkinland. remember the surprise of color? one of the most exciting scenes ever! i'm ready for a truely rainbow world here. we shouldn't have to travel over the rainbow to find it. it's time.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MI: Dare I ask, the occasion? REPLY FROM JACK: I received an unexpected phone call from my pastor's wife, asking if I had ever considered becoming a pastor. It had never entered my mind until that call.

FROM N.L. IN FL: Amen to that Jack:

FROM B.M. IN MI: This quote made me think about such moments; and I do mean more than one. The three for me which first come to mind are the following: The day John Kennedy was elected (I had just turned twenty) ; the second was the day that I realized I was in love with Margie; the third was the first day that I started my own accounting practice. There could be others, of course, especially the births of each of our children and, later, our grandchildren. What do you think about all this? Should there be just "one moment" as Graham Greene suggested?

FROM DMF IN MN: Mrs. Tillberg?

FROM PR F.M. IN WI: Another democrat . . . and also a president, JFK. We have voted and are ready to accept responsibility under, we hope, a democrat president!

FROM MOLINER LIZ: Glad to hear what happened to you on that fateful Sunday nite. It was a fateful nite for many people actually, your future parishioners and people like me who have never even met you except thru your blog. As one of your "cyberspace parishioners," I'd like to say thank you to you and to the pastor's wife who opened the door to your future. Your thoughtfulness, caring and humor have helped me thru many days.

FROM ERIN DiM: I just voted, so exciting!! :)PS. I'm wearing my favorite election day t-shirt. In red, white, and blue it reads "I VOTE FOR HAPPY HOUR" :) I think those waiting in line for hours would agree ;)

FROM G.C. IN SAN DIEGO: Just a quick word.This is the big day for Mr. Obama and Co. I am one of the large number of persons who perceive that Barack Obama is one of those very special people who come along every once in a while. You and I can name a few in our life times. Let's see first if he makes it today and then how he leads/performs in the many months ahead. Herren valsigne Barack Obama!

FROM CJL IN OH: Yep!

FROM MARY ANN & RAY IN MI: Okay Jack. What was it? My mind is not creative today!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My moment was on January 22, 1951, when my Dad was rebaptized in the Church of Christ and my brother and I were blessed by the Minister. That event put into place for me a whole chain of other events that have certainly commanded a lot of energy and paying attention to history for me.
I learned God can turn things to work good in our lives and we just need to pay attention over time to see it happen.
Sharon