Monday, November 24, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 11/24/08
“You don’t stop playing because you get old; you get old because you stop playing.”
(Slogan seen at the Roy Hobbs World Series) Roy Hobbs has hardball leagues for various age groups, including one for players 65 and older. I remember a pastor coming to our church in Illinois and preaching at age 96. I have a copy of the sermon in my Easter File: “Easter Message of Peace.” ;-) Jack
.

FROM L.K. IN OH: I don't stop playing......I just play on a different field.

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: When you get old, you still play but you play at a different speed.

FROM M.T. IN PA: This is true on many levels--including the scientifically verifiable level. I have a small book called 'Keep Your Brain Alive: 83 Neurobic Exercises' In addition to the mental exercises, the book provides the background on scientific and medical research that has identified exactly which types of behaviors and activities promote the growth and regeneration of brain matter! The basic rule is - habitual and passive activity is bad (or at least non-beneficial) while mental challenges--especially those that are creative/problem-solving, require the formation of new associations, and/or break established patterns--are highly regenerative.

FROM CJL IN OH: Thanks. I needed that! REPLY: See, you've got alotta years to go.

FROM PR F.M. IN WI: I find it is not playing the same games, but finding new games to play which fit our age. One game which is 'interesting' for oldies is one which our kids gave us last Christmas . . . "The Captain's Mistress Game". I trust you have played it! REPLY: It sounds too risque for me.

FROM G.G. IN INDY: this is SO true! good reason to hold on to your childhood!

No comments: