Monday, October 20, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 10/20/08
“You can observe a lot just by watching.”
(Yogi Berra) People tend to make fun of Yogi-isms, and today’s quote is one of them. But what he says here makes sense. Watching and observing are not the same, just as reading and understanding are not the same. Watching TV is not the same as comprehending the message, for good or bad. I encourage you to be a good observer of what’s happening around you. You can learn a lot by just observing. ;-) Jack


FROM N.L. IN INDY: I LEARNED WHAT I KNOW FROM WATCHING AND LISTENING.! LOOK AT WHAT I LEARNED.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MI: One of my "official" titles is "amateur writer and observer of the human scene". I cannot agree with you more! (As usual)

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Watch what you observe!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Observation is a gift most people don't use. I can't tell you the number of times when us kids would sit on the banks of the AuSable River people watching. Some were intent on just getting their trip finished, some spent the whole trip trying to control their canoes, some too drunk to care, some playing Indians, some racing each other, some intent on tipping everyone, some just goofing around and a very few...just a few, actually enjoying the wonderful sights on the river. Each canoe would pass the same stuff...beavers, minks, muskrats, Great Blue Hurons, deer, rainbow trout, water snakes, brown trout...but only the silent observer really saw the wonder! MORE: I tend to observe a lot. The last 4 weeks I have been out each morning, noon and evening observing my three praying mantis. One's about 5 1/2 inches long, with a brown back...she's the biggest. One is a beautiful lime green, the second biggest and one I call "Inj" because she's injured. She is out a lot on our deck. Sometimes "Greeny" comes up there too but I have never seen the "Queenie" up there. Each day they are out and I must admit, I can't believe one hasn't eaten the other. Interesting to because Inj has been on the same bush as Queenie...who is the bigger. Somewhere there has to be an egg sack or two but I have been unable to find one. They keep me busy and each day I can't wait to get out there too see them. They live about a year and I have no idea where they spend winter. I have been trying to find more information on them. I just find the general information o n the internet I already know. Maybe I will ask for a book on them for Christmas! I have been good!

FROM M.L. IN IL: i learn the art of observing each day by watching three year olds. their power of observation is unparalleled!

No comments: