Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 9/30/08
“If everyone celebrated the similarities and respected the difference of all religions, then this world couldn’t help but be a better place.”
(Oakland Press editorial) Rosh Hashana begins a time of joy and warm sharing among Jewish families. We could all benefit from doing something similar. Do you have experiences like this? ;-) Jack

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: Should I respect the differences of Islamic Fundamentalism that would like to exterminate me??? JACK'S REPLY: What did Jesus say about your "enemies?"

FROM N.L. IN IN OR FL: ISN'T THAT THE TRUTH.

FRP, B.G. IN MI: Good word for today

FROM MOLINER LIZ: Too bad the Jewish members of Congress are taking the next days off work... my ex-husband is Jewish and I don't recall his or any of his Jewish friends/colleagues taking off for Rosh Hashana-- Jewish New Year is kind of a "non holiday." Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) is the holiest day of the Jewish year, but that's not till next week. So I guess Congress will be taking off part of next week, too...

FROM J.L. IN MI: I'm not sure celebrate is the correct word, but maybe respect. The Bible tells us to love alll...even our enemies. We pray for them each night asking the Lord to send them the Holy Spirit. And, just who are our enemies now-a-days?

FROM M.E. IN SO CAL: Jewish wife and son in law. Buddhist Thai daughter in law. Polish Catholic niece. Ethiopian Christian niece. Son who taught math and some form of comparative religion in the Peace Corps, and has expressed concerns during this election year, in particular, about for lack of a better term, the Religious Right. Daughter who is a Special Education teacher and, probably like her Father, a bit confused about how to respect the more extreme differences of the Muslim religion, in particular. Am I misinformed about the latter? Any ideas or things I should read that can educate me or help with that apparent prejudice of mine? Always enjoy the Winning Words.

FROM CJL IN OH: I have spoken to several Jewish gatherings and even exchange Christmas cards with one Jewish businessman. Had a TV interview with a Jewish man who has been on
our School Board. Good relations!

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: Continuing to find your WW compelling. Makes me watch for little tidbits of wisdom myself.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: I try to practice it every day.

FROM SDG IN TAMPA: This is a little far afield from your topic today, but I thought it was interesting when I received the newsletter from the C enter for Belgian Culture which is located at 7th St. and 18th Ave in Moline. I joined a couple of years ago when my cousin became secretary of the organization. Anyway, the center awards a yearly scholarship based on an essay about heritage. The last few years the entries were from young men and women of Belgian heritage. This month an essay by Kristen Schweppe is printed. She is a student at Augustana and she tells the history of Santa Lucia and of her own study of her Swedish ancestors. Her father is a Lutheran minister. She writes that it "is important to know where you come from so you know where have been. t is only then that you can move forward and become everything you can."

FROM INDY GENIE: love this one....i believe it's what it's all about. Passing this one on to the youth group...start them thinking at a young age!...just like you did for us!

FROM P.O. IN MI: Again, very timely!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whenever the Ecumenical Institute (former name--now it has a different name) would join with Temple Beth El to host a Seder for people who would like to learn about the Passover, I would always feel right in there with the story. When everyone sang "Go Down, Moses" the liberation would somehow feel so contemporary. As long as people are celebrating what God has done in our lives, my response is thankfulness and hope. I would like to find out about the Muslim celebrations.
Sharon