Thursday, August 07, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 8/7/08
“Now in my golden years, I’ve learned that you can’t know how to live until you know how to give.”
(Kirk Douglas) A worker in the Williams White drafting room first talked to me about tithing. A friend in Wisconsin is a tither, too. He says, “I write God’s check first.” There’s a verse in the Bible that says: “The Lord loves a cheerful giver.” Is there a smile on your face when you write God’s check? ;-) Jack


FROM A.McC. IN MI: Absolutely. I recall in the early 1930s that my folks had the envelope for God when there was little money and we all came out of our financial difficulties eventually.

FROM MOLINER EFP: There are a lot of ways to write "God's check." When I give to St. Jude's Children's Hospital as a memorial for a friend, I feel I am writing God's check. When I give to our office's collection for a sick co-worker, I feel I am writing God's check. And when I jump from my booth at the Village Inn to help someone with a walker maneuver the (needlessly) heavy doors, I feel as if I am writing God's check. Though it's not really a "check" at all.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: Never thought of God needng a check.

FROM J.L. IN MI: Tithing is so much more than money! Giving comes from the heart and always makes one feel good. It's the little tithes than mean so much ... time, volunteering, helping, collecting, smiling and remembering!

FROM MOLINER G.S.: Yep. The more we give, the more we are blessed - Not claim-it, take-it, but the fruits of the spirit: Gal 5:22.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope I'm learning now the trust that will still enable me to write God's checks (with a thankful heart) later when the work paychecks have stopped coming in our family. Sometimes when I see what happens to old people I wonder about the difficulty of maintaining the trust and giving. It's good that the Bible holds tithing up so we have some kind of level to actually look at and prayerfully discern our own behaviors. God seems to always know that we need at least a clue.
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Some of the greatest giving and gifts don't involve money.

Don