Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 6/10/08
“God enters by a private door into each individual.”
(Emerson) Talk about a picturesque sentence….This is one! As time passes, I become more and more tolerant of the different opinions that people have. I realize that I don’t have all of the answers. God has a way of impacting each of us in secret ways. It really is possible that we can learn from one another, if we are willing to let it happen. ;-) Jack


FROM JACK: I just read this in the NY Times...Another Private Door...."Plants have a secret social life."SUSAN A. DUDLEY, an evolutionary plant ecologist at McMaster University, who found that a plant species can recognize its relatives.

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: YES, and isn't it regrettable that we can't figure this out until we are approaching the end of our life?

FROM S.H. IN MI: I believe this quote is another really true quote. God knows the door and He has so many more resources than we do. My pastor, for a couple of years now, has been taking me along to visit Betty in the Nursing Home. This past month has been too busy to go and I think he is just really dying for a vacation now. But he often says in his sermons at the Fountains that God is above us and below us, to the right of us and to the left of us, before us and behind us. I'm knitting a prayer shawl for Betty and really contemplating that God is able to be all around her like that. Sometimes a person would think that another person who lives in a nursing home has such a circumscribed life and that we people on the outside who are so busy and going around so much, etc., etc., etc. are the ones that are bringing interesting stuff to her--we are such a lively couple of people and so forth--but in the end--because of all the wonderful caring things that God does all the time entering by the private door of Betty, He is really the lively one and I'm looking forward to hearing and learning from Betty, the next time we see her what God has been doing in her life. And by extension He is secretly impacting on my pastor and my lives and others all around Betty through Betty. I do believe there is not a single person in this world I cannot learn from though there are people who make me anxious and defensive and not likely to learn as much as otherwise.

FROM MOLINER, EFP: I like this one. It's what I've always believed-- that although religions appear to be very different, we all want the same things out of life. Family, home, friends, a good job. All religions (as far as I know) call for their members to be of good character and to do the right thing. We're all in this together and if we accept each other as equals, the world will be a better place.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Jack your follow up comments remind me of the hook line in a Montgomery Gentry Song, titled Back When I Knew it All. The hook is: Lord I'm learning so much more......than back when I knew it all. THE LYRICS: At the ripe old age of nineteeni bought a short bed pick up chicks machinelife ran on beer and gasoline a half a lap ahead of the law i had a fake i d that got me into "tuffies"love was a word i used to get lucky was a big time spender with that plastic money back when i knew it all.....back when the world was flat and mama and daddy didn't have a clue that was back......back when a pitcher of beer and a couple shots made me bulletproof back when god was a name i used in vain to get a point across when i got ticked off lord i'm learning so much more......than back when i knew it all i found out credit cards don't mean you're rich and beer and gasoline don't mix yeah step side trucks can't jump a ditch and those " big house" rooms sure are small i've learned that love is a woman that will settle you down a sunday sermon can turn life around man i can't believe all the answers i've found since ....back when i knew it all....i've done some growing up and i'm still growing up so i know i'll never be as smart as i once was that was back.......

MORE FROM JON: After many years of a closed door (mind) policy I now have a screen door.

FROM L.K. IN OH: Send this one to both McCain and Obama.

FROM M.L. IN IL: this is wonderful insight. i struggle with organized religion. how can we impose rules on such an individual and personal relationship? we are the temple.

FROM J.L. IN MI: What a nice thought. He is there, we don't have to invite Him or choose Him, He is already there. Each one of us are given a special gift, a secret way as you state. None of us have all the answers, although I do know people who think they do! :-) Listening is the key...not just waiting to give our opinion, but listening to what others have to say. Interesting insight!

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: It's refreshing to hear someone say that they don't have al of the answers. A lot of poeple do have all of the answers. Trouble is , there are a lot of wrong ones in the mix.

FROM J.T. IN MI: The difficulty of choices made is accepting responsibility for them. Agree or disagree? JACK'S RESPONSE: I just move on and try not to look back.

FROM CJL IN OH: That's why the ecumenical movement is so important. Especially on the personal
level!


FROM EMTSINGS IN MI: I have to tell you about a Bible Class that I conducted yesterday.In summer we all take turns with a class, otherwise we have a very good and dedicated teacher. I decided to do " A different and probably controversial look at Miracles". I think you would have gotten a kick out of it. As my main resource I used a book called "Those Disturbing Miracles" by Lloyd C. Douglas. I happen to be a real fan of his since my son, Daniel, introduced me to him several years ago. I started out by reviewing some of the Old Testament "miracles" and stated how some are trying to "explain" them away as possibly being naturally occuring events due to wind, etc. I happen to believe it does not matter how they occured and that does not make them any the less a miracle. (Just like I have no problem believing in both evolution and Creationism, but I digress.) But there was good discussion and it only pointed out to me that many things can bring new insights to people. In fact, I ended my lesson for your WW for the 10th. It seemed to me that it came just in time, as that was the day I was finishing up my preperation for yesterdays lesson. And it seemed to sum it all up well! Thanks! RESPONSE FROM JACK: Thanks for sharing this interesting story. I've often said that the laity can lead some of the best Bible studies. A friend of mine went to a gym to workout and wound up organizing a Bible Study Group for those at the gym, including some of the Extreme Fighters that are seen on TV, beating up each other. They meet every Wednesday.

FROM A.J. IN MI: I LOVE this one

FROM MOLINER C.F.: If anybody didn't know what to do next, it was HH FROM JACK: Hubert Humphrey was one of my favorites

FROM CJL IN OH: It's Never too late. Try working as an adult advisor & learn while you serve!

No comments: