Friday, May 09, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 5/9/08
“Live with extreme gusto.”
(Sean Kavanaugh) Sean is famous for creating a popular executive training group, The Ariel Group. He believes that to be successful, you have to live with gusto. I seem to remember a TV beer commercial with “gusto” in it. Am I wrong? Gusto is an interesting word, meaning: enthusiasm, zest, hearty enjoyment. With that in mind, live this Pentecost weekend with extreme gusto. ;-) Jack


FROM P.O. IN MICHIGAN: "Go for the gusto"? --- but I don't remember what it was referring to.

FROM MY SON, DAVID, WHO HAS THE ANSWERS TO MANY QUESTIONS:
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=schlitz+beer&hl=en&sitesearch=#q=schlitz%20beer%20&hl=en&sitesearch=

FROM MOLINER G.S.: True. I also like Passion - I pray for it every day.

FROM G.G. IN INDY: Great message! Please thank son David for the beer commercials...really fun to watch! I want to go to that old time Schlitz party. By the way, I lived this week with gusto, too. I held President Bill Clinton's hand at Hillary's headquarters in Indy on Tuesday night! Awesome!

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: i am living this week with much gusto and not much down time!

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: Extreme gusto, enduring optimism, and eternal thankfulness. This morning I was talking with my wife about her cousin, dying of bone cancer. I try to remember the path others have to tread, whenever I feel sorry for myself because of my (mostly) self-inflicted short comings.

FROM J.D. IN MINNESOTA: PEPPY PENTECOST TO YOU. NOW THATS GUSTO!

FROM A PASTOR WHO USED TO DRIVE A BEER TRUCK: Grab the Gusto! Go for the gusto! And other lines were used in Schlitz commercials for years. I drove a Schlitz truck two summers while in college. Before the brand and brewery became the first Milwaukee brewery to die.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These Winning Words are just bringing a smile to my face. Didn't the people at that time, watching the Holy Spirit being poured out, think the disciples were drunk at 10:00 in the morning or something? I remember the beer commercial too but can only remember the "gusto" part but not the brand. Good advertisement of the word "gusto"--it sticks in our minds forever.
Sharon

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for David telling us about the Schlitz Beer commercial. I'm also thankful for our worship today where there was a lot of loud singing, me too. There seems to be something about these synod assemblies that people sing louder than I am used to at worship. I thought maybe it is because of so many Pastors but Pastor Rothgery said that probably isn't the reason as Pastors there only comprised 1/3 of the total. Whatever the cause it was stimulating that there was so much loud singing.
Sharon