Thursday, May 15, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 5/15/08
“From our birthday, until we die, is but the winking on an eye.”
(Bono) Today is the 16th birthday of one of my grandsons. Do you remember when you were 16? It’s etched in my memory. Where did the time go? Eddy Arnold was born on May 15, and died a week ago at age 89. One of the songs he made famous was, Gotta Travel On. ;-) Jack


OOPS FROM JACK....Today's quote is from Yeats, not Bono. This is an example of my imperfection. Which reminds me...When I applied to enter the seminary, I needed a letter of recommendation from my pastor. On the form he was asked, "What is his greatest fault?" He responded simply: "Original Sin!" Among others, that's the greatest.

FROM MOLINER EFP: Good morning. Today would be my grandfather's 100th birthday. Seems like a wink, those 30 years he's been gone, as I still remember him vividly. How wonderful that memories somehow manage to last a lifetime, not for just a wink...

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: That wonderful age 16...such new freedom, such new responsibility, the fleeting moments, so short the duration. "Now the days grow short, I'm in the autumn of the year, I think of my life as vintage wine, from fine old kegs, from the brim to the dregs, it poured sweet and clear, it was a very good year." (from a Frank Sinatra classic)

FROM B.G. IN MICHIGAN: I think you know that Bono is one of my heroes; not only because of his music but because of his ability to bring together disparate parties and make good things happen on behalf of people in need. Yes, I remember when I was 16. As Bono sings in the song, City of Blinding Lights, “I knew much more then, than I do now.” Hope you are doing well. My goodness, Eddy Arnold was 89 years old! Green acres is the place to be… JACK'S RESPONSE: I wonder if there's a cemetery named, Green Acres. THANKS TO GOOGLE: Welcome to Green Acres Mortuary & Cemetery Green Acres Mortuary & Cemetery has served Scottsdale families since its founding in 1957 by Lisle and Ruth Hawkins. As a proud member of the Dignity Memorial national network, we are devoted to exceeding expectations and providing a standard of service that is 100 percent guaranteed. Occupying approximately 40 acres, our award-winning and beautifully-maintained facility offers a comforting environment featuring a fountain and flush-to-the-ground monuments. To further assist our families, we provide the convenience of funeral, cremation and burial services at one convenient location, and a professional staff with Spanish-speaking capabilities.

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: i tell at least one parent each day to blink a little less so as not to miss a precious moment. i wish that i had blinked a little less. JACK'S RESPONSE: Winking is different than blinking. One eye remains open. MORE FROM M.L.: i wonder if i could train myself to wink alternately and not miss a beat. i think i'll start practicing.

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: I remember my 16th birthday as if it were yesterday. We had a band from my school play for my birthday and I had my first kiss. One of my "adopted" sister"s (my parents raised a number of kids besides their natural born) boyfriends said..."Today you are 16 and I want to be the first to give you your sweet sixteen kiss"....so he did. It was very sweet as he was a very good friend too. Later that year he was killed in Vietnam. But I always remember his kindness to me and my brother and sisters.

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: I'm all for a slow blink.

FROM G.G. IN INDY: I remember when I was 16.....got my drivers license! Went for the test in the morning and then straight to teach VBS at Shepherd of the Lakes. I'm also remembering a song I learned from your Mary (I think it was that same VBS summer) "A great grey elephant, a little yellow bee. A tiny purple violet, a tall green tree. A red and white sailboat on a blue sea. All these things God gave to me, when he made my eyes to see. All these things God gave to me. Thank you God." I've shared that with many children. Thank you, Mary. BTW, I have no idea where the time went!

FROM CJL IN OHIO: I especially like the one that points out that one out tombstones are two dates - when
we were born and the year we die with a dash between them. Then the question "How are you living your dash?" Eddie was right, but HOW we travel is most significant.

No comments: