Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 4/9/08
“Blanket rules don’t always fit every individual. I need to treat everybody fairly, but fair doesn’t always mean equal.”
(Tony Dungy) I’m going to finish the week with a few more quotes from Tony’s book. Today’s words were spoken to his football team. Blanket rules don’t fit my style, either. I think that FAIR is a good word. And I lean toward Situation Ethics, too, but that’s another story. ;-) Jack


FROM S.M. IN MICHIGAN: Situation Ethics? Hmmm…what comes first? The situation…or the ethical behavior?

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: i like the term situation ethics. JACK'S RESPONSE: A book was published a few years ago with the title: Situation Ethics. It caused quite a stir, because it presented issues as not simply black or white, but as gray. There are nots of gray areas.

FROM N.E. IN S.H.: Awesome quote..........I am printing this one out for my kids! As a parent of 4 very different children, I thank you!

FROM PR J.S. IN MICHIGAN: Situation ethics are unethical!!! JACK'S RESPONSE: It depends on the situation.
AND FROM J.S.: That very sentence demonstrates why it is unethical.

FROM MOLINER C.F.: "What's fair is fair. What's unfair is what happens to me fairly often. Fair enough?" (Couldn't resist the word play, Jack.)
MORE FROM C.F.: "You can be fair to some of the people all of the time and fair to all of the people some of the time, but you can't be fair to all of the peoplle all of the time - Abe Schwartz.

FROM D.S. IN MICHIGAN: So so true

FROM L.H. ON MARCO: What a great message to give to our young people; lets bend the rules; the rules apply to some people, but not to you. What a roll model this guy is! JACK'S QUESTION: Is there a note of sacasm in your answer? AND L.H. RESPONDS: I guess my reaction is shock that you might agree with what that guy is saying. He doesn't believe in right and wrong; only what he believes is fair, and what is fair is what he feels at the time and it may not apply to everyone.

FROM PR CJL IN OHIO: This I want to hear... JACK'S RESPONSE: Read the blog.

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: i have to read the book. many situations require discernment. do you read much deepak chopra? you'd like him. love, a fellow think-to-harder

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: Irene sez"especialoly when you are dealing with the grandchildren"

MORE FROM B.S.: great thought. there is more to football than what origianlly hits the eye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think sometimes God allows something unfair to happen to me because He knows I'm exactly the person who can handle it and show off even better His glory. Is that situation ethics?
Sharon