Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 4/30/08
“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.”
(A.A. Milne) Now I know what I’m going to do today. I going to attack a couple of piles of stuff on my desk and create some excitement. In seminary days, my roommate and I were like Oscar and Felix. I don’t think that either of us has changed. Messy desks tend to stay messy. I’ll let you know if I find any treasures. ;-) Jack


FROM VETTE BOB IN MICHIGAN: Never though of it that way before ??????

FROM MOLINER, B.G.: Todays "Winning Words"touched a nerve. It reminded me of a a saying that I had framed and kept on my desk at Temples, which decribed my desk. " Those of you who keep a neat desk, will never know the thrill of finding something thought lost foreverMy desk at home is still the same way. Old habits are hard to break.

FROM MOLINER G.S.: At least your messages aren't messy - they're usually very good. I enjoy opening them first thing.

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: If you find any leftover $100's just let me know. I have a plan for them! :-) My area is usually clean, in fact, mostly all the time. However, my scrapbook room leaves a lot to be desired! This quote really tickled me because I love discoveries!

FROM E.D. IN AZ: I find that only when my desk is 'disorderly' (generally the case), i am productive in my research. Books, papers, articles, scrap notes with ideas, all mean that thoughts are flowing and i'm thinking. I like to think that my work space represents 'compiling thoughts' rather than 'compiling messes'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I would like to know is if one can change this orientation towards being disorderly. We knew a dear sweet woman (she died) and her house was packed with old stuff. Then she went to the old folks home and within a short while there too her couch started growing piles of stuff all around her. That was a lesson on what the future may hold. A lot of her stuff was reading stuff and her mind kept on learning right up to the end so one has to juggle that advantage against the untidy looks of her room. I still wonder if people can change, the evidence seems to say not likely.
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Actually Jerry and I are both Oscars. But we produced a Felix daughter. From this small population of subjects, I deduce that we must have some neatness recessive genes and that neatness is caused more by genetics than by environment. She is also right-handed while we are both left-handed. And we all drive all of us crazy. I agree with Moliner G.S., your messages aren't messy and seem to be quite well-thought out and relating to the times we are in. Maybe by the time things get to your head they get more organized than they are on your desk. And not vice versa.
Sharon