Thursday, April 24, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 4/24/08
“The first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: Decide what you want.”
(Ben Stein) This quote is a continuation of the thought process on Saving the Environment. What kind of a planet do we want? What kind of person will lead us in making the changes that are necessary? How much consumerism are we willing to forego? The first step is always the hardest. Not to decide is to decide. ;-) Jack


FROM MKH AT THE FD: Sometimes these babies really hit home!!! Have a great day!!
MORE FROM MKH: Peace not too much to ask? Tee Hee Hee!!

FROM PR J.S. IN MICHIGAN: Aomost contradicts yesterdays Winning Words, doesn't it?
MORE FROM J.S.: What you said at the end contradicts what you said at the beginning. You want more than what you have. You want a different President. So do I. I am not satisfied with a President who is fouling up our country and I will strive to make it different. I can't buy into that one from yesterday because it would tell me to be satisfied with GWB. Jesus wasn't too satisfied with the way things were going either. So he climbed on a cross and changed them. I vote for that kind of change.....

FROM MOLINER, G.S.: Have you seen the Ben Stein movie, Expelled? Thought provoking.

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: Obama said it best. "America is the greatest country on this planet. Please join me in changing it." (paraphrased but correst in its interpretation)

FROMCWR IN B'MORE:........the key, it seems to me, is our capitalistic excesses, our over indulgences, and our refusal to accept that the "justice" (ala Marcus Borg) segment of Jesus' "love, JUSTICE, and peace" is a direct reference to money.....remember that "the WAY", the first followers of the "risen Christ" , was a communal group, a "kabbutz", "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need"...........sound familiar...... Karl Marx. Nobody promised Christians a "rose garden"..... and as "Jesus people" , as people who give, it means giving until it HELPS.....the whole global environment, not only the climate and global warming, but our very "soul", as a person of "God" , is at stake..........."What kind of Planet DO we want?"

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: To live is to change, and to be perfect is to have changed often. John Henry Newman MORE FROM J.L.: LOVE Ben Stien...he has it right....but be VERY careful what you want as you may get it! Beware! By flimsy attempts to "save" the planet, we just may destroy it. MORE FROM J.L.: I love to read the WW's. They do get you thinking and I like to read what the others think. It's extremely interesting to read the comments because sometimes they are so far from what I was thinking about the quotes. Which is just wonderful. I'ts always good to listen (read) different comments and ideas because you just might have missed the boat! :-) Keep sending those WW's!

FROM B.D. IN MICHIGAN: 'When you were saying good-bye, I heard you say, 'I wish you enough'. May I ask what that means?'. She began to smile. 'That's a wish that has been handed down from other generations. My parents used to say it to everyone'.. She paused a moment and looked up as if trying to remember it in detail and she smiled even more. 'When we said , 'I wish you enough', we were wanting the other person to have a life filled with just enough good things to sustain them'. Then turning toward me, she shared the following as if she were reciting it from memory. I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright no matter how gray the day may appear. I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun even more. I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive and everlasting. I wish you enough pain so that even the smallest of joys in life may appear bigger. I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting. I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess. I wish you enough hellos to get you through the final good-bye.

FROM PR A.W. IN ILLINOIS: Reminds me of first line of the book "How to be a Millionaire". FIRST YOU WANT TO HAVE A MILLION." Al W. Guess I never wanted it bad enough.)



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we Americans are used to moving away from people and places always to where the grass appears to be greener. We were founded upon that principle. I also believe it is the peoples of the Third World who will actually show us the way to making the changes that are necessary. We have to make the decision to go back into relationships, genuine relationships that enable us to hear their teaching--I think they know something more about the planet and also us than we ourselves have been able to comprehend with any deep recognition of truthfulness--so far.
Sharon

Anonymous said...

cookie monster once said "i want cookies". he got cookies.he knew what he wanted. but now the people at sesame street are trying to confound america's youth by changing his name to vegetable monster.so i wonder if he really wants vegetables. or if the sesame st. people really want him to be vegetable monster. mabe it's the government's fault. or mc donalds.